What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Lock?

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
In the two years since I started building the -8, I know that I have visited web sites with pictures of how people have incorporated a simple key lock into the canopy latch handle area - but now I can't find the info!

I want to put in something to discourage the honest folks should I decide to park at some airport and go into town for a burger....

Can anyone point me at someone's pictures?

Paul

canopy lock

Paul,
I'll try to take a photo of mine tomorrow. It is kind of "cheesed in" but it deters the casual thief. One whack on the lock with a hammer and the skirt would simply blow out(hopefully without destroying the canopy), so it is not going to deter a bold, motivated thief.

Method: drill a hole in the skirt with a Unibit to fit the diameter of the lock, insert lock and see where the latch would contact the upper deck of the cabin sidewall(with canopy closed) and mark with a sharpie, drill two holes in the upper deck and cut a slot between them with a dremel cutoff wheel, file/sand the slot, re-insert lock and attach latch... done.

Someone had mentioned once that you can make a second slot a few inches back from the first slot for locking the canopy in the partially opened position for airshows.

Thanks guys!

That was the picture I was remembering, but I'd like to see yours Mark. Clearly a motivated thief could get through just about anything that is canopy-skirt-based, but with all those electronics, I'd like to discourage the casual passerby....

On my old Grumman, I figured out that I could close the canopy, lock the lock, then crask the canopy open about a half inch. That allowed the hot air to vent, and kept the interior a lot nicer. I'd like to be able to do that on the -8 as well!

Paul

To busy flying....

Not yet I haven't....I got a nice canopy cover and use that to keep the prying eyes out. One of these days.... :rolleyes:

Paul

Paul:

Saw your aircraft at the Elm Creek fly-in last fall absolutely great. I was one of the two guys running around parking birds. What make of canopy cover did you get?

check 6 said:
Paul:

Saw your aircraft at the Elm Creek fly-in last fall absolutely great. I was one of the two guys running around parking birds. What make of canopy cover did you get?

Thanks! I'm glad that folks like it - I'm still happy!

My canopy cover is a Bruce's standard weight - heavier than any of the lightweight covers, but a perfect fit, very high quality, and customized with color tabs to match the plane. Well worth the money.

Paul

paul's story

Hey Paul, I saw your write up in this latest 06' RVator. Nice write up!
Not your typical RVer ;) We appreiciate your input on this forum.

lorne green said:
Hey Paul, I saw your write up in this latest 06' RVator. Nice write up!
Not your typical RVer ;) We appreiciate your input on this forum.

Hmmm....I guess I better renew my subscription - I haven't seen it yet, and bet I won't if I don't buy one! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip...

Paul

Canopy lock?

Ironflight said:
That was the picture I was remembering, but I'd like to see yours Mark. Clearly a motivated thief could get through just about anything that is canopy-skirt-based, but with all those electronics, I'd like to discourage the casual passerby....

On my old Grumman, I figured out that I could close the canopy, lock the lock, then crask the canopy open about a half inch. That allowed the hot air to vent, and kept the interior a lot nicer. I'd like to be able to do that on the -8 as well!

Paul

Paul,
when I was at OSH last year I took a couple of pictures of Kahuna's (I think) lock that he had on the slider portion of his canopy....it was nothing more then a gun lock (the type that fit on the trigger) with 2 L brackets mated up to tighten down on the slide rail...when I get home tonight I'll try to find the pictures and post them...it allowed you to keep the canopy open as much as you like but help keep people honest by not allowing to open all the way....

Jeff

no lock for me

I've seen too many airplanes that were broken into for the avionics. My philosophy is "take my radios but don't break my canopy". So I'm NOT putting a lock on my canopy. I can always stash my headsets, etc. in the baggage compartment. Oh, and no ignition key either. If you can start this thing than you are an aviator and aren't going to steal it.

Radical thought for the day...

JB
Aerosport engine sitting on the shop floor calling to me...

RV8 Canopy Lock for Slider Canopy

I'm looking for a canopy lock for my RV-8 slider. It's the same for an RV6/7 or 9 slider. I had one, but somehow it disappeared. I still have the nylon part that goes with it though. This is the one Van's sells for $127 that locks on to the fuselage canopy slider rail with a nylon part that slides over the rail and you lock the nylon up against the rear canopy skirt. I just want to replace the lock. A used one would work if someone has one they aren't using.

Back