What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rotating wing stand for rv-10--Suggestions?

tomhanaway

Well Known Member
Looking for ideas and pictures for a wing stand for painting rv-10 wings. I'd like to be able to rotate wing as I work.
thanks in advance,
Tom Hanaway

Tom,

I don't have any pics sorry but what I did was take a pipe flange with a 1' piece of pipe, threaded both ends and attach them to a 2 x 4 about 18" long. Then sandwhich the tip rib between the flanged 2 x 4 and another 2 x4 behind the rib with 2 inch deck screws. It held the tip rib just fine. We had built some simple stands out of some 2 x 4 with casters on the bottom of the legs. Drilled a 1 inch hole through the top of the stand, the pipe that is inserted in the flange gets run through this hole and allows the wing to rotate. On the opposite end I just screwed the spar to a 2 x 4 stand with a cross brace on top. When we needed to rotate the wing just unscrewed the spar, rotated it and rescrewed...Really takes two people for a good comfort level. On the open end of the pipe, a cap keeps it from sliding out of the hole. The stands took Three 8' - 2 x 4's each to build. Two 4' long verticles, and four 2' long legs. We could wheel them around with little trouble you just need to take care when doing that and rolling the wings.

I recently painted my RV-10 wings and also have no pictures. I borrowed some cable reel stands from work to support both ends. I just clamped a 1" dowel to the fuse end of the wing with the main beam sticking out 6" and cut a piece of 3/4" plywood the shape of the wing for the light end. I fastened the plywood with six screws where the fiberglass end fairing normally goes. With a hole drilled in the plywood and a broom handle inserted into the plywood and through a rib lightening hole the wing rotated easily with me alone. It was not perfectly balanced so I had to stick another dowel into the lightening holes and it was a "stop" against the reel stands.

It worked great except the reel stands got painted as well.
Hank

Back