What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Glare shield edging

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
I was just looking at the Classic Aero website and found this.

There have been many requests for this stuff on VAF over the years, here it is and at a good price:), how can you go wrong??

That looks like the Self-Gripping Vinyl Edge Trim with Metal Core available from McMaster-Carr. Pictured here is part number 8451A22. It is priced by the foot and is easy enough to install. Buy some extra, you will find places to uses it.

The cost is $.64 a foot.

I got some 1/2" rubber hose from an autoparts place (Canadian Tire for you canucks out there), used some lacquer thinner on a paper towel to remove the printing, and slit one side of the hose. It slides right on the glare shield, looks great, and was pennies a foot.

I was just looking at the Classic Aero website and found this.
Personally, I'd like my glare shield edging to be more than just a piece of rubber. The problem with something like this is that if your head hits it in an accident the force may push the sharp edge of the glare shield right through the rubber.

I slit a piece of 1/4" aluminum tubing and put that over the glare shield edge. I slit a piece of rubber tube and put that over the aluminum tubing. The final product looks pretty good, I think.

Look again

The Cleaveland link includes a nice piece of material that covers the glare shield. It stands out as one of the nicest touches to my aircraft.

Regards,
Bernie "Smoker" Ockuly
Strongsville, Ohio
RV-7"A", N914E, 604 hours, 1,315 landings, ( lots of 'em on grass), 1,464 rolls, 3 loops, ( I am a slow learner), 119 gallons of smoke oil since 9/11/05
L.G.I.T.W.

Personally, I'd like my glare shield edging to be more than just a piece of rubber. The problem with something like this is that if your head hits it in an accident the force may push the sharp edge of the glare shield right through the rubber...
Kevin,

I couldn't agree more. Here is the description of the edging from McMaster-Carr:
McMaster-Carr said:
Self-Gripping Vinyl Edge Trim W/ Metal Core 1/64"-1/32" Opening, 23/64" Height, Black

The Cleaveland link includes a nice piece of material that covers the glare shield. It stands out as one of the nicest touches to my aircraft.

Regards,
Bernie "Smoker" Ockuly
Strongsville, Ohio
RV-7"A", N914E, 604 hours, 1,315 landings, ( lots of 'em on grass), 1,464 rolls, 3 loops, ( I am a slow learner), 119 gallons of smoke oil since 9/11/05
L.G.I.T.W.

OOPS, missed that.:eek:

Glare Shield Edging

Personally, I'd like my glare shield edging to be more than just a piece of rubber. The problem with something like this is that if your head hits it in an accident the force may push the sharp edge of the glare shield right through the rubber.

I slit a piece of 1/4" aluminum tubing and put that over the glare shield edge. I slit a piece of rubber tube and put that over the aluminum tubing. The final product looks pretty good, I think.

If you have your shoulder harness on and your head hits the glare shield edge the fact that the edge is uncovered is the least of your worries. Having said that, I installed the Cleaveland glare shield edge and like it a lot.

I did what Kevin did

makes sense to me. blade $6 harbor freight. tube 5052.

100_4781.jpg

100_4806.jpg

Excellent prevention!

If you have your shoulder harness on and your head hits the glare shield edge the fact that the edge is uncovered is the least of your worries. Having said that, I installed the Cleaveland glare shield edge and like it a lot.
Your head hitting the glare shield edge could be your only worry.
In fact from what has been reported by an observer of a recent accident, the only injuries to the pilot occupant were facial lacerations sustained while hitting the glare shield edge.
The split aluminum tube and rubber cover will go a long way in preventing you from getting your skull sliced open in the event of a frontal impact accident.
I used the Aluminum/Rubber method on my 8 and the Clevland edge on my 10.

I used 3/8" aluminum tubing and rubber tubing glued over that

I used a different size I think but the same idea for the same reason.

Bob Axsom

Back