What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery survey

tacchi88

Well Known Member
Not sure if this has been posted before, but what brands and size batteries is everyone using in RV10s?
Thanks in advance,
T88
T. Tacchi
RV10
N969TP

Concorde RG-25XC. Purchased, about to install.

Russ Daves
N710RV (Reserved - Fuselage on Gear)
N65RV (RV-6A Sold)
N??RV (RV-8 starting on finish kit)

Batteries

I'm using the Odyssey PC925. It's a little heavier, but adds weight and battery capacity where it is needed.

Vic

Dual Battery Box

Just finished the modification of the battery box to make the two Odyessy batteries fit. I am using a dual master relay setup as well.

50657776-M.jpg

50657783-M.jpg

There are a three guys at the field that are using just one of these batteries to start their 10 to 1 compression I0-540's in their Rockets. Two should really crank it.

Last edited:
Survey

Thanks all for your responses. It appears that the Odessey is the favorite. Will take a close look.
Cheers,
T88
T. Tacchi
RV10
N968TP
(Wrestling with avionics)

What about the PC925L

BUMP an old post...Me looking for a RV10 Battery.

Seems people like the Odysseys better that Concordes?

Looks like the L version of the PC925 is turned on its side, and the terminals reversed which should make it a drop in replacement for the Concorde RG25 without changing the battery box OR wiring?

Concorde 25 Dimensions: 7.50 x 4.97 x 6.81 (L W H)
Odyssey PC925L: 6"15/32 x 4"7/8 x 6"7/8 (L W H)

http://www.batterymart.com/p-odyssey-pc925L-battery.html

What do you guys think?
Rudi

I've just used the normal PC925, and mounted it sideways with no problems.

Vic

Me too, and I have a 680 back there also, for the aux system.

The 680 is mounted to the right, and lower than the factory batt position, ties into the factory tray, and the "J" stiffeners on the bottom.

I like my PC680 just fine in the -6A but since the -10 is going to be 24V I'm going with a Concorde RG24-11. I'm modifying the battery mount and will post pictures when I get it done.

Batt

I've had an Odyssey 680 since 2003. Used it for setting up the electrical system, radios, EFIS etc. while building. I've been flying since July 06, I've flown the plane 270hrs+ and the only problem i've had was that I had to replace the solinoid on my lightweight starter. I dont think the battery had anything to do with that:rolleyes:

Engine is a 200hp Lycoming IO-360-A36B.

I've just used the normal PC925, and mounted it sideways with no problems.

Vic

Cool If you wire from scratch the PC925 will work sideways, but if you are replacing a Concord with the PC925 then the + & - terminals are the wrong way around. If you had enough wire you could cross them over, if not then the PC925L is the answer.

Glad we all think alike on the RV10!

Regards
Rudi
PS: I have a PC680 in the RV7 and so far (18 months of flying) only good things to say about it.

Just last fall I replaced a ten year old RG-25XC with one of these:

http://www.tempestbatteries.com/html/td35-12.html

Note that this battery is a 35 Ah battery while the PC925 is a 28 Ah battery. I was a bit skeptical when I bought this battery about the specs but it does put out a serious amount of current.

Terminals were reversed so I had to make new cables, no big deal...but nearly identical to the RG-25XC in dimensions. This battery works extremely well and costs $80.

A few years ago I tried the PC680 in the RV and I was disappointed. During two extended cranking events it let me down. Like big motors there's no substitute for additional lead in batteries.

Last edited:
Two 680's very similar to Scott's. Engine starts great on one, starts great on both :D , which is what I normally do. Not sure the brand matters so much as long as it's a quality brand and you take care of them.

Revive

Reviving this thread after 4 years stagnant.
I was thinking 2 680s. One as the main one as the #2. The Bus Manager will send the one with the most juice through for starts.
What are most people running for battery(s) in the 10 these days?

I was thinking 2 680s. One as the main one as the #2. The Bus Manager will send the one with the most juice through for starts.

I'm like Rick, I have two 680s. Plus several of the units in the panel also have batteries.

Two 680's for me also. Both mounted aft of the baggage compartment bulkhead wired with individual master solenoids. I can use one or both for starting, but the primary reason is to have a back-up power supply if the alternator should fail in flight. I will have plenty of reserve power to find an airport to land at. My Dynon D-6 back-up EFIS has its own built in battery also.

There's always the LiPo batteries that weight 1/5 and put out just as much current. A Little more money, but you could easily add several without any weight gain over a single Lead Acid style.

Many current threads on here about people's experience with them

There's always the LiPo batteries that weight 1/5 and put out just as much current. A Little more money, but you could easily add several without any weight gain over a single Lead Acid style.

Many current threads on here about people's experience with them
Did you mean LiFePi4? Significant diff. I wouldn't have a LiPo. But - I have successfully used a LiFePo4 for 9 mos and 90 hrs. Enjoying energetic staying, no maintenance, and ~3 lbs!

How does your LiFePo4 do when it gets really cold? I've heard they don't perform well when it's cold. What is your experience?

How does your LiFePo4 do when it gets really cold? I've heard they don't perform well when it's cold. What is your experience?
I have done no testing, but it "seems" to be a little less energetic when it's 40-50F. A buddy - also running LiFePo4 - says you can load preload the battery to warm it briefly, then engage the starter for better results. I've tried this and not sure I see better performance (maybe, but again not very scientific testing). It still starts very positively in both cases.

Did have one incident (in 70-F conditions) where I goofed up a hot start. Ended up cranking 8-10 times. Just knew the battery would die before I got it running. It kept cranking just fine, until I got the engine lit. Very pleased with my Ballistic 16-cell.

Back