What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Master Cylinder Orientation

Master Cylinders

Hi, my early plans showed them mounted shaft down, body up, and that's how I put them in. Body is a bit wide and will obstruct the foot if other way up, and I think would make bleeding more difficult.

Hope that this information will help in your quest for answers, reguarding the brake cylinders, On the older kit the kits were shipped with Cleveland brake cylinders, and the body was quite wider, hince the unit had to be mounted upside down for pedal clearence issues. In time the kits were now being supplied with narrower units made by Matco, now they can be mounted in the upright position. So now you see why there is a difference up, or down.
The older units that were mounted upside down were hard to bleed, so the solution to this problem is to disconnect the shaft from the bottom of the brake pedal tie the units in the upright position, bleed the lines then reattach the brake shaft to the pedal.

Cheers, TX RV-4

TXRV4 has got it right. If possible, use the Matco cylinders and mount upright. I have the old system and have had to bleed the breaks twice - just as described below. I can tell you from experience that bleeding the lines is labor intensive.

Dan

TXRV4 said:
Hope that this information will help in your quest for answers, reguarding the brake cylinders, On the older kit the kits were shipped with Cleveland brake cylinders, and the body was quite wider, hince the unit had to be mounted upside down for pedal clearence issues. In time the kits were now being supplied with narrower units made by Matco, now they can be mounted in the upright position. So now you see why there is a difference up, or down.
The older units that were mounted upside down were hard to bleed, so the solution to this problem is to disconnect the shaft from the bottom of the brake pedal tie the units in the upright position, bleed the lines then reattach the brake shaft to the pedal.

Cheers, TX RV-4

Master cylinder

I installed mine upside down which makes the geometry work out a little better. I have had to bleed them once and it took a while to figure out that they had to be disconnected and flipped so that the air in the lines would go up and out.......I also had one of the o-rings leak once and it made a mess of the floor and carpet.....(this would likely have happened no matter which way they were facing).......Moral....."do whatever works best for you" it really doesn't take that much longer to bleed with them upside down.... :eek:

Marc

Actually I installed them upside down, but used the individual reservoirs that screw into the masters. I think I'll be screwed at bleeding time, since I can't flip the reservoirs over. It's always something.

Back