What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newbie for sure

VT-tuna

I'm New Here
Hi guys,
Been reading this board for a few weeks. Little info. Recently a friend told me about his long time interest in building a plane and Van's was his choice. For what ever reason, I got a bit more than just excited myself. Had no idea that planes were as affordable as they are (even just buying a used plane). Just never really thought about it. Have never sat in a cockpit before. I have traveled extensively for about 10 yrs and now run my own company (still a lot of travel). The entire concept of becoming a pilot and owning my own aircraft has me really pumped up. Building an aircraft is even more exciting. I have a billion questions but my first is to the rv10 builders that have completed their kits. I am wondering how accurate Vans cost estimator really is. Roughly with a new engine it suggest about 110k. Being the newbie I am, I really don't know what else folks would add to the plane as must haves. (autopilot for instance). The good news is I have been an avid offshore fisherman for a bunch of years and owned a good number of boats. I am all to familiar with the money associated with an insanely addictive hobby. Honestly, at first glance, I'm thinking that small planes pail in comparision to sportfishing boats as far as the dollars for owning and operating are concerned. Anyway, is this 110k a reasonalble estimate for a completed quickbuild RV10.
Many thanks
Mike (Richmond, Va)

Mike,

Depending on your selection of avionics yes and no. My initial costs for a EFIS based panel with autopilot and full IFR capability is real close to $50k, I know a 3 screen chelton panel out there was around $60k complete. Heres a quick break down of my costs (rounded).

Your variable will be avionics, paint & Misc. Vans lists costs fora everything if you want to build it on paper first...Oh yeah, figure $5000 to learn how to fly :D I was where you are at now 4 years ago...It can be done, I'm roughly guessing my RV-10 will be finished this time next year. I just bolted the forward and mid fuselage section together and the finishing kit is due mid Feb. That's working about 12 good hours plus or minus a week for almost two years.

Kit-$36,000
Engine $36,000
Prop-$6000
Firewall forward-$5000
Avionics-$50,000
Tools-$4000
expendable supplies, primer,pads and stuff. $700.00
Paint, interior $10,000
Shipping, crating etc $2000
contingency fees (must haves) $4000

$153,700

Still half the price of a Cirrus..sorry no chute yet but some are working on that.

Rick S.
Las Vegas

I didn't realize the '10 could end up costing that much.

It looks like if you don't need or use the extra 2 seats most of the time, the '7 that can be built for about half as much and eats up less fuel as well which makes it a heckuva deal. ;)

I figured there was a bit more to the gig. Always is. BUT, I'm not dissauded one bit. Well maybe a little, may have to borrow from the wife. Just got home from one of the local airports and am pumped even more. Will start flight lessons next week. Even bought the starter kit complete with headset. Would still really like to hear more about the cost so please post up if you got it.
Thanks,
Mike (die hard wannabe for now)

Mike,

I've been flying my RV-6 for a few years now and can say honestly that it costs more than you plan, but once you're flying you'll say it was all worth it. Jay Pratt told me once that he got more out of aviation than it got out of him. Wise words...

Welcome to the best hobby on Earth.

Best,
Doug

Oh and mine is slow build...sorry bout that. I totally agree with the post regarding building a 7..which was my original intent. I was forced by my spouse to build the -10 because it looked more like a "real" airplane...darn her!!

Honestly, I have no idea which I will actually build when the time comes (next fall perhaps). Really like the 10 because of the extra seats and extra luggage if only two are flying ( would be the case 99% of the time). As for total cost of the 7 vs 10, looks like it would be 20-25k less. Would the 7 get outfitted with less electronics or is there something else I am missing. No doubt the 10 is more time but doesn't seem like a whole lot more money.

Agreed

A similarly equipped 7 would only be about 25k (ish) less. The airframe and engine are the two factors. Paint, panel, prop, tools etc are pretty much fixed in price for both. The only panel difference that I can think of are the 2 extra cylinders to monitor CHT/EGT - so add another 50 bucks for the probes.

That said, if you were to stick to a basic VFR panel with a modest interior and fixed prop, the 10 can be had for what Vans claims - even less.

Last edited:
-10 Reasoning

The other way to justify building the more expensive -10, is that you can start with a basic flying platform. I will try to get by with the minimum basics that I can on the pane and save me on the panel's up front costs. I hope to make the panel as modifiable as I can.

As I continue owning and flying the plane, I can add my own enhancements and cost to the panel! ;)

Jae

jchang10 said:
The other way to justify building the more expensive -10, is that you can start with a basic flying platform. I will try to get by with the minimum basics that I can on the pane and save me on the panel's up front costs. I hope to make the panel as modifiable as I can.

As I continue owning and flying the plane, I can add my own enhancements and cost to the panel! ;)

Jae

Jae is right on...If you don't know what he means by basic flying platform, he likely means a more basic equiped panel.
A panel cost of $50K has been mentioned. An RV-10 could be built with a very functional and adequate panel that cost only $10K or less. Once you have some experience as a pilot you could better determin how your dream panel would actually be equiped, and then upgrade. One of the great things about the amaturebuilt catagory that we recieve our airworthiness certificates under, is the great freedom we have to make changes to the airplane any time we choose. With Certificated/factory built aircraft this is a much more complex (and expensive since you have to pay someone approved to do it) process.

Scott M.

rvbuilder2002 said:
Jae is right on...If you don't know what he means by basic flying platform, he likely means a more basic equiped panel.
A panel cost of $50K has been mentioned. An RV-10 could be built with a very functional and adequate panel that cost only $10K or less. Once you have some experience as a pilot you could better determin how your dream panel would actually be equiped, and then upgrade. One of the great things about the amaturebuilt catagory that we recieve our airworthiness certificates under, is the great freedom we have to make changes to the airplane any time we choose. With Certificated/factory built aircraft this is a much more complex (and expensive since you have to pay someone approved to do it) process.

Scott M.

Just to add to this, the panel I've been designing out for my -7 has a Garmin GNC330, a grand rapids Dual screen EFIS/Engine Monitor, Garmin 396, an SL30, an audio panel, backup electric AI, a CDI, transponder, hobbs, annunciator, and TruTrak Digiflight IIG autopilot, and it's well under $30,000 using regularly advertised costs (about $27,000). It will be less when I actually start buying and shopping around.

You can do significantly cheaper than this by switching to a Dynon Efis, a less expensive engine monitor, ditch the 396, etc. You could have a nice IFR glass panel with IFR GPS for less than $25,000, and probably less than that.

And if you just want VFR, you could easily do the whole thing for well under $10,000 (if I were going all VFR, I'd buy EVERYTHING used since the whole panel can crap out and it wouldn't affect the safety of your flight).

Just another perspective :)

Looks like we have something in common. I just finished ground school, FAA test and 3rd class medical. Ready for flight training this month. Really excited. I'm also looking at building an RV-10 after (hopefully) certification. These guys know so much about this airplane, it should help in the building process. I too plan to install a basic VFR panel and add bells and wistles later. Just want to get into the air as soon and as safe as possible. Larry

cost

I may be wrong, I'm sure I'll be told if I am, but, I'll have WAY less than 100K in my RV10. I'm just VFR so I won't be putting a lot of things in the panel I don't really need. You can find an engine for a lot less than $35,000. I found & bought 2 O-540's for $17,500, sold one for $10,000. I hav an IA friend, I'm an A&P myself, we can overhaul my engine (may not enclude all the accys) for about $3500-$5000. I don't figure tools as part of the cost of one airplane. You could build several airplanes with the same tools. Granted, some things just cost what they do. But you CAN build the RV10 for a lot less than you think. BTW, paint doesn't have to be expensive either. My brother just had his RV9A painted in Mena, Ar for $2980, he has a grand total of $50,000 in his 9A. He has a used engine but all the avionics & instruments (Dynon D-10 included) are new, plus this was a quick build kit. I had my C-150 stripped & painted for $4000. You can go hog wild & spend as much as you want, or be conservative & be realistic, and have an airplane that flys.

Marshall Alexander
RV10
wings

Back