What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ignitions

Tom Maxwell

Well Known Member
2-Mags, 2-EI, or 1 of each?

Those who are engine ignition gurus, please help me understand what the pros and cons might be going with dual mags, dual electronic ignition syestems, or one of each.

My initial thoughts are that one of each may be the best compromise.

E-mags

Tom, The following link is interesting to me http://www.emagair.com/ They have a "P-Mag" which operates without a battery. This setup has me looking pretty hard at it. I like that it fits on the engine as a replacement for the mags.
George

Depends on when you plan to get airborne.

If you can wait for the E-MAG/P-MAG, I would. IF it works as advertised, and IF it stands up to the rigors of the engine compartment, then I think it's the way to go. For me, they aren't even shipping the 4-cylinder model yet and they don't make a 6-cylinder unit.

Now, I say IF, because I was on the leading edge of the LASAR ignition movement on my RV-6. Although they took real good care of me and eventually solved all my problems, it took awhile. I suspect that the E-MAG folks will have their share of bugs to work out too so you want to give this product time to mature in the field.

If you plan to fly this year, I'd go with the Lightspeed and one magneto. That eliminates the need for a second battery system which the E-MAG system won't need either. I think two electronic ignitions are a little dangerous without a backup electrical source. Besides, you get the same benefit from one system as you do with two.

Whatever you do, you want to design your system so that your engine stays running. While magnetos are really old and dated technology, they do have one advantage in that they don't require any electrical input to run. As long as the prop keeps spinning, you can find a place to land at your choosing. That's why I think the E-MAG/P-MAG combination offers some real promise over the existing technologies provided they don't encounter any unforseen engineering problems.

Last edited:
There 'ya go then.
Go with a Lightspeed on one side and mag on the other for now. Then later when the P-mags are tested and ready, replace the mag with the P-mag and get the best of both worlds.

Matt
RV7-A

Last edited:
Why would you go with a P-Mag and an E-Mag and not just two P-Mags? The answer may be obvious, but isn't the idea behind the P-mag the same benefits of the e-mag minus the battery requirement?

Brian130 said:
Why would you go with a P-Mag and an E-Mag and not just two P-Mags? The answer may be obvious, but isn't the idea behind the P-mag the same benefits of the e-mag minus the battery requirement?
I lifted this from their website:

Q: When I run dual electronic ignitions, do I need two P-Mags, or can I run one E-MAG and one P-MAG?

A: One E-MAG and one P-MAG is what we consider "standard dual configuration", which should be quite adequate. However, given the small difference in price, many builders are opting for dual P-MAGs. Their reasoning is that one P-MAG is already "required" (in dual installations), so the only question is whether or not to invest $250 to make the second ignition self-powered. One E-MAG and one P-MAG should be fine, but it depends on how you make that value choice.

FWIW - I went for Emag and the standard impulse Slick mag. This will be my setup until I'm certain of the new technology. Then the Pmag will fill the Slick mag spot. For the price and benefits the Emag has outstanding value.

Kelly Patterson
PHX, AZ
RV-6A wiring
O-320 9.2:1 CR Emag

Don't mix and match EI brands

Highflight said:
There 'ya go then.
Go with a Lightspeed on one side and mag on the other for now. Then later when the P-mags are tested and ready, replace the mag with the P-mag and get the best of both worlds.VernRV7-A
Actually you get the worst. With matched L&R ignition you will get better performance. IF you mix and match electronic ignition you are negating the advantage of having dual electronic ignition. There is no way two different EI brand ignitions will fire at the same time consistantly. Most advantage of EI is from the first one. The extra 1% of performance/efficency with the second EI, is only if it works together, at the (same time) with the other ignition. You might as well go one EI and a mag if you are not going to have matched EI. I asked E-mag/P-mag folks about going (1) LS and (1) P-mag, they did not recommend it, but to their credit they suggested going dual LS would better or Dual E/P-mag. They had nothing negative to say about LS. There are advantages to both. BTW Jeff Rose's ignition was out of production for a while but is now available again as electoair:

http://www.electroair.net/

Cheers George :D

Last edited:
A dumb question?

I'm not thinking about swapping my mags, but this discussion about combining electronic ignition with a mag made me wonder about something.

Isn't the whole point of electronic ignition to be able to vary the timing like a car does? Well how does that work if the EI plug is sparking well in advance of the mag-driven plug? Seems like you'd lose the performance advantage of dual plugs, because by the time the mag fires, the show's over. Wouldn't it be sort of like flying around all the time on one mag?

Just curious.

One EI or Two EI

jonbakerok said:
I'm not thinking about swapping my mags, but this discussion about combining electronic ignition with a mag made me wonder about something.

Isn't the whole point of electronic ignition to be able to vary the timing like a car does? Well how does that work if the EI plug is sparking well in advance of the mag-driven plug? Seems like you'd lose the performance advantage of dual plugs, because by the time the mag fires, the show's over. Wouldn't it be sort of like flying around all the time on one mag? Just curious.
Dear Just curious: Great question. One EI (w/ one mag) for discussion sake will give 4% more efficiency. The second EI will only give an additional 1-2%.

Well what is the single magneto doing with the one EI, one Mag set-up? Not much. At power above 70-75% the timing of the EI will be approx at the same 25 BTDC, however the EI with its much hotter and longer spark will overpower the Mag even if they fire together. At lower power setting the EI will start to advance, so by the time the relatively weak Mag fires late the show is over. The Mag is just going along for the ride. However even with this mismatch the single EI is so much better than dual Mags, it is a benefit. The question is if you want to pay for the 1-2% extra benefit the second EI gives.

For me it was a case of practicality. I had old Mags that needed to be overhauled. I was able to sell the mags and impulse couple and make some money. I kept the single no impulse mag gear for my EI hall effect trigger.

The down side of dual EI is the dependence of electrical power. There are work-around's such as a second battery. In fact they use so little power a healthy single ships battery should keep you in the air until you run out of gas. Some do use only a single battery. It is still an issue that has to be addressed that you do not with need to with Mags. The P-mag is a self powered EI, independent of the aircraft electrical system. Others go some elaborate means to prove DC power that seems to rival a B747.

My point is if you are going to get that extra 1-2% you think you are going to get with a second EI for more performance you need to match EI brands. If you are not going to add a matching second EI, which might not get much added benefit, my feeling is you might as well keep the magneto and save the money. As a side note Lycoming list a 2% differnce between single Mag and dual Mag operations.

The question of which brand is better, since they all cost the same?

LSE: From pure performance minded standpoint the LSE has the best features in my opinion. It is the only CDI (capacitor discharge) ignition and they have race minded features such as user adjustable cockpit advanced control and indication. CDI (multi spark) has a slight performance advantage over Induction Coil ignition, which is what the other systems use. As well you can display MAP and RPM with optional LCD displays. Also, the CDI can work on lower voltage. The down side may be the installation, box, wires, coils and dependence on aircraft electrical system. For most the racing features are not necessary. LSE offers crank trigger and all effect trigger (mounted in mag hole).

E-mag/P-mag: Is an induction coil system like the Electoair system. Works very well and has the best form/fit factor, which means self-contained units that mount on the engine like mags, without seperate coils and control box. Also with the self-powered version, the P-mag, you have less electrical redundancy issues (needs electrical power to start with). Although it does not have some of the LSE features it does have easier installation and the timing curve can be adjustable or customized by the factory, including reduced advanced for high compression engines. Timing advance above 70% power for more performance is always at the risk of detonation and engine damage. Therefore most are best served by the stock conservative timing advance, which works primarily in cruise. All the EI use a conservative stock advance curved to protect the engine.

Electroair: Also an induction ignition system. Jeff Rose sold the company I believe and is now being marketed again. The new design features separate controller, coils and hall effect trigger (fits in the mag hole). There are 1000's flying around. I would put it between the LSE and E/P-mag in performance and installation. Electro-air states you must have two batteries for dual EI configuration.

Performance and cost are all close. You have to look at features, installation and your needs. I will also say there is nothing wrong with Mags. However if you are starting from scratch, buying new you sould consider at least one EI.

Cheers George :D

Last edited:
Don't forget about Aerosparks

http://www.aerosparks.com

Don't forget about that one, Aerosparks. Steve Korney, the guy behind it, is a friend of mine. I don't use his system (I didn't know about it when I shopped), but it's worth looking into it as an alternative to LSE, Electroair, etc.

You can tell him I referred you to him. He hasn't tried to market it too heavily yet, but again, it's worth checking out and hearing Steve's rationale for the way his system works.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

I have a P-Mag on my RV6 for about a hundred hours now and have been very impressed with it's performance. The increase in engine smoothness was noticable immediately and start up is instant, hot or cold. Installation was very simple since it fits on the engine just like a mag. I have noticed a drop in fuel consumption of nearly a gallon an hour in cruise. At the same cruise power setting as before I notice an increase of 3 to 4 mph in indicated airspeed or I can maintain the same airspeed as before and reduce the manifold pressure by 1". It is evident thet the P-Mag is getting more complete combustion out of the fuel charge. In cruise turning off the Slick mag has no effect at all but turning off the P- Mag results in a very noticable loss of power (rpm stays the same since I have a c.s. prop). As far as reliability is concerned so far no problems at all. My new stock Lycoming came with Slick mags and these have been anything but reliable. The first one quit at 280 hrs and the second one at 340 hrs. My previous experience with :) Bendix mag has been better. I am building an RV7A now and plan to equip it with two P-Mags. By the way P-Mags are in production and quite a few have been shipped already. There is however a lead time of several weeks, so plan ahead.

Martin Sutter
RV6 2300hrs

P-Mag

Martin" Does it make any difference which hole you put the P-Mag in.
doyle reed
casper two

single EI and impulse mags

casper said:
Martin" Does it make any difference which hole you put the P-Mag in.doyle reed casper two
Yes it does, if replacing only one mag, you usually leave the impulse mag and replace the non-impulse coupled mag with the EI.

Impulse mag it the one that "snaps" or clicks every time you rotate the engine. Not a mag expert but it is easy to figure out which one it is. Looking at one you will see a flyweight assembly near the drive gear if it is removed from the engine. Also you can read the part number. Refer to the manufactures info.

For starting you want retarded timing and the impulse does this as well as spins the mag faster (in an impulse). If you try to start with a regular mag on it may not start due to too weak spark or worse could cause a kickback. All the EI are electronically retarded and you can start with the electronic ignition on as well as the impulse mag.

Note: there have been sporadic reports of starting with PM starters (which draw more current) and EI. The EI needs a min voltage and if it is too low it could cause problems, such as kick back. This is kind of a grey area, and the EI folks claim this should not be a problem with min volts between 5-8 volts, and indeed many have no problem. Solutions that have been suggested are, a second EI battery isolated from starter, wire wound starter (takes less amps than a PM starter) or start on the impulse mag (if you have it). \\Cheers George

LASAR problems?

Walter is dumping his LASAR due to high CHT's. I recall reading a post where a guy installed a bypass on his LASAR on climbs. But the company will not warranty if a switch is installed.

Walter isn't going to get a good break in at 23 sq.

could be a combination of things, his baffling is perfect, but new cerminel (sp?) cylinders.

Anybody out there to explain benefits of LASAR? Regardless of cost and weight?

comments?

Lasar

mark manda said:
Walter is dumping his LASAR due to high CHT's. Anybody out there to explain benefits of LASAR? Regardless of cost and weight?comments?
The LASAR has a history of high CHT's and have seen several for sale on eBay over the last year. I don't recall users of other brands of experimental EI having CHT's too high, although EI will increase CHT from more efficient (hot) combustion than a magneto. Why does the LASAR have more problems or higher CHT's? I have no idea. I have never used one and only know what I have read on AvWeb and other discussions on the web, where I read of several LASAR over temp CHT complaints.

As far as LASAR I think it is heavy and complicated being it is piggy-backed on magnetos with all the problems you have with magnetos. The main advantage is it's usable on certified planes. No doubt the fact it is piggy-backed on magnetos helped it get approved by the FAA and the reason they retained the magneto base. For experimental aircraft I say skip it and go with: LS, E/P-mag and Electroair. G

Last edited:
thanks george,

I've followed your informative posts for quite awhile. I'd be $40,000 ahead if I'd listened to you. :) Actually, probably more.

I complicated matters even more after reading about someone getting stranded on the ground with a no start- with LASAR. I ordered a "Bush Kit". Allows one mag to fire so you can start the engine without LASAR. and all the complications of smaller size wires and reversed wiring to go with it.

mark

(hey, you ever spot that fast-glass intake cowl? with a plenum? :)

Lasar

New to this chat, and perhaps late on this thread, but here's my eperience with LASAR. To begin with , it is not just electronic ignition, it is managed electronic ignition. Timing is altered constantly based on information from 3 inputs. The benifits are decrease in fuel consumption, increased cruise and top speeds, increase in climb, especially, at 10K and up, vast increase in spark plug life (near 1000 hrs). Improved starting hot and cold. Shock cooling defensive. The plane was a Piper Arrow 180 HP.. At no time were operating temperatures over recommended numbers per Lycoming. Total time before selling to pay for RV10, 800+. The RV10 will have LASAR. The bush kit will not be used as it was not used in the Arrow. I would highly recomend it to anyone. Note that it's timing map is specifically tailored for the Lycomings it will be used on. I do not work for Unison.

Glad you had a good experience with Lasar. The benefits of an E/P-mag, or similar, in an experimental are the ability to set plug gaps much wider (0.035 vs 0.018) giving even better performance, ability to use car plugs (much cheaper, although somewhat negated by Lasar plug life) and a much easier install. Very few unhappy, if any, E-mag customers against several people who have negative experiences with Unison/Lasar (see post by Ron Gover a week or two ago).

Pete

Lasar

FYI,
LASAR also likes wider gaps. The E mag sound like a great idea, and certainly better than the old fashioned magneto we've known for more than 100 years. LASAR offers management which is the next step in the electronic ignition world. It's 1/2 of FADEC.
Certainly, if the E mag was the only game in town, I would choose it over a plain old magento, "without" reservation. But I've spend some time with managed ignition, and LASAR is a better option, unless, of course someone else come up with a similar or improved version. LASAR's timing map is also specifically for Lycoming. I don't think the E mag does. LASAR does have built in back up.
From what I've read, E mags have been on the scene for a short time, while LASAR is in it's 7th year. There are far more certified AC flying than homebuilts, particularly those Lycoming equiped. As an A&P/IA I've seen and experienced error in installation of a myriads of components, as well as just plain problems in general.
I read the previous post and find it hard to believe that there was so much problem, but it can happen, I'm sure E mags will have their share. One example of anything never makes for determining the reliability of anything.
In the end, we do have choices in our world of experimentals.
I simply chose managed electronic timing. FYI, LASAR can be diagnosed with a lap top, just in case there are problems. The lap top is for visual purposes only.

LASAR, what to think

The incident, to be sure, was unfortunate, but my own LASAR had more than 800 hrs, and the new owner, a friend, is now pushing 1000. The majority of my use of LASAR, was on my Arrow. Being active in the Cherokee group, other Piper owners bought LASAR. There were a couple of breakdowns, but in both cases, Unison was more than accomodating. Whether or not the product, any product, is good or not, is still only as good as its representation.
The Cheroke group has quite a few users, and in all cases, all had nothing but praise about Unison.
We have all "heard" of those who have had some problem with a given product, and at the same time hear of others that rave about that same product.
My own experience was with Gill batteries. Used them for a long time, until I got my first bad one. It was still in warranty. They made good on that battery.
The replacement lasted just barely within the warranty, when it failed. Still I was willing to try again. Yes, the entire electrical system was checked and double checked. I received a thrid replacement. Impossible to have 3 failures in a row, after so many years of fine service. Number 3 died in the same manner, shorted cell. I switched to Concorde. problem solved.
I think 3 out of three is sufficient to say the products performance was unacceptable, but others are still using Gill and when I complained, Gill came through, so service was not an issue.
After 7 years of LASAR and many "tales" (from others), performance and experience with the company was excellent.
To be sure, at least one has had a bad taste of the product, but others rave about it. I have already purchased LASAR for my RV10, it should be interesting.

Back