What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oklahoma City?

N130WN

Well Known Member
Can someone provide some guidance on the Oklahoma City area? What is the best GA airport to fly into for a couple-day stay? Should any be avoided? Any other tips appreciated....

Thanks!

Where are you headed/staying in town?

I was there a few weekends ago and landed at Sundance (HSD) on the far NW side of town. It's close to my parents' house and had some of the cheapest avgas in the area ($3.40 or so). It's not far from the Kilpatrick turnpike, which can take you south to I-40 or east to I-235 pretty quickly. Wiley Post (PWA) is nearby. It's a bigger towered filed with multiple runways and a lot of small jet traffic (avgas over $5.00). The same goes for Westheimer (OUN) down in Norman on the south side of the OKC metro area. The only other place I've operated from was David Jay Perry (1K4) on the south side of Norman, but that was over 10 years ago. I heard the downtown airpark was closed a few years ago--kind of a bummer 'cause I wanted to do the $100 hamburger there...

KPWA my choice

Larry,

The main GA field here is Wiley Post KPWA. Its a nice field, good FBO support and right central to OKC. Its towered, has precision approaches, and hangaring your bird is easy, although I don't know the cost.

Just a few miles NW of Wiley, there's a nice little strip called Sundance Airpark KHSD. Single runway, VOR approach, uncontrolled. Fuel is a little cheaper there. You can get hangared there too, or just tie down (and hope a 50,000 footer doesn't romp through that night).

We have other options north and south also: Guthrie to the north and Max Westheimer to the south.

Fuel won't be cheap at Wiley Post's ServiCenter, but its a really nice FBO and has every service you'd ever need. Sundance is just a little more remote, but still nice enough and better fuel prices. Its only 10 min from me.

I have an extra car if you want: a 99 F150XLT Lariat. You're welcome to it! Just pm me...

Last edited:
Yes, but

"The main GA field here is Wiley Post KPWA. Its a nice field, good FBO support and right central to OKC. Its towered, has precision approaches, and hangaring your bird is easy, although I don't know the cost"

Bill is correct, however, Sundance is 5 miles NW of PWA, and the fuel price is two bucks less per gallon.
As of yesterday:
Sundance $3.40
PWA (Atlantic) $5.39
PWA (Servicecenter) $5.71
Wiley Post has much more to offer, closer to food and lodging - but like anywhere else, be prepared to pay.

Enjoy the visit!

Well, that just shows you how long its been since I sold my 4 ;)

I used to hangar at Sundance, back when fuel was around a buck-forty.

Back