What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do I set these rivets?

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I'm presently riveting my flap bracket angles to the spar, ribs, and flap brackets. I've had no trouble with the inboard and outboard brackets. However, I am having trouble accessing the middle bracket AFT-most rivets that attach the W925C bracket to the W925A flap bracket and rib. (See picture attached--it is the row of holes that is at the top of the picture). There's no way to use a short straight rivet set here because of the angle and my 5" double-offset rivet set in the gun is too long to fit in between the ribs on either side of this middle bracket and still give me a good angle on the factory head. I tried one but creased the head right down the middle (again, see picture) and stopped to think about whether there is a better way. Any suggestions?

Right tools for ......

I had a problem here too. I just checked out the Avery catalog and could not find the right rivet set. What you need is a long single offset like Avery?s P/N 4710, just longer. Also, order some tips for your rivet set, P/N 4514. These tips are a must have and make this operation doable with the long single offset set.

Good luck,

Roger Ping

I bought a short (2-3"?) single offset set. They're available from all the tool suppliers. I borrowed a 4x gun for the task. Use a heavy bar on the other side.

2 cold 2 work 2 long,
Steve

R.P.Ping said:
I had a problem here too. I just checked out the Avery catalog and could not find the right rivet set. What you need is a long single offset like Avery?s P/N 4710, just longer. Also, order some tips for your rivet set, P/N 4514. These tips are a must have and make this operation doable with the long single offset set.

Good luck,

Roger Ping

Thanks Roger and Steve, it looks like I need to buy a single-offset. Avery only has a 3 1/2" but Spruce has them in 3 1/2", 5 1/2", and 7 1/2".

Roger, If the 3 1/2" is not long enough, would the 5 1/2" be OK? (I'd prefer the shortest I can reasonably get away with).

I also agree the the "snap socs" (4514) are helpful in this type of situation.

Any other suggestions or anything else I need to buy? :(

Thanks,
Steve

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
I am having trouble accessing the middle bracket AFT-most rivets that attach the W925C bracket to the W925A flap bracket and rib. Any suggestions?

This suggestion won't work in your case, but it might be useful for someone else. I riveted the flap brackets to the ribs before I riveted the the ribs to the rear spar.

Mark

51/2"

I just checked and 51/2" is what I have, (offset set). I also had a plastic tip on my 31/2" offset although I don't remember using it on the flap bracket.
Steve is also right...4x and heavy bar!

My rivets weren?t perfect and I drilled several out. Bottom line is they were solid.

Good luck.

R.P.Ping said:
I just checked and 51/2" is what I have, (offset set). I also had a plastic tip on my 31/2" offset although I don't remember using it on the flap bracket.
Steve is also right...4x and heavy bar!
My rivets weren?t perfect and I drilled several out. Bottom line is they were solid.
Good luck.
Thanks for the size, Roger. Since Spruce sells them for $7.00, I ordered both a 3.5" and 5.5".

The same rivets on my outboard-most bracket are not perfect either, the shop head is not perfectly centered on a couple of them so I'm debating about what to do. It's definitely one of those rare instances where I'm not sure whether good enough is good enough or whether I should take the chance and drill them out. Hopefully this new offset rivet set will help with the middle bracket rivets though.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Last edited:
Just a follow up. I received a 3.5" single offset rivet set from Spruce today and riveted these rivets using it. It worked GREAT. I do highly recommend using the Avery snap socs because a single offset really likes to wander off the head of the rivet--I practiced a couple times using just masking tape and got big smilies both times. With the snap socs they turned out perfect. 3x gun at 65# of pressure with a light bucking bar set 9 out of 9 perfectly. Thanks again to Roger and Steve for the suggestion.

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
I'm presently riveting my flap bracket angles to the spar, ribs, and flap brackets. I've had no trouble with the inboard and outboard brackets. However, I am having trouble accessing the middle bracket AFT-most rivets that attach the W925C bracket to the W925A flap bracket and rib. (See picture attached--it is the row of holes that is at the top of the picture). There's no way to use a short straight rivet set here because of the angle and my 5" double-offset rivet set in the gun is too long to fit in between the ribs on either side of this middle bracket and still give me a good angle on the factory head. I tried one but creased the head right down the middle (again, see picture) and stopped to think about whether there is a better way. Any suggestions?

Back