What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 on Trade a Plane

jartlip

Well Known Member
Do any of you guys know anything about the RV3 for sale on trade-a-plane? It is for sale by Pacific Champion, N33RV, and they have had it for sale for a while. The registration shows it as a John Harmon built -3. It has a 180 HP O-320 with a Hartzell on it (not sure how I feel about that).

If anyone has any news on that airplane, please let me know. I don't want to waste a trip to the west coast for nuthin'...

Thanks...Jim

yup...

If it's the white (cream) and red stripe RV-3, I called about it. It is John Harmon built, he said it had lots of innovations built into it, it did have some gear vibration issues... and they were addressed. I think some welding was done. I spoke to the seller and his brother, his brother had the red and orange rv-3 for sale with the fuselage tank. His brother said the red one would out run the white one even with the white one having a constant speed prop. It's got the high compression pistons...(to correct a earlier post of mine, one person said he only got 5-700 hrs on his high compression pistons( I posted that info and then received a lot of flak for it), I also know that person did not fly a lot that and that probably contributed to that lack of cylinder life). I found a local one that was in Atlanta and decided to get that one instead. He had it for 32k but it's still for sale. He flies a rocket. The owner seemed quite nice and answered all my questions.
Best
Brian Wallis

Last edited:
How did you arrive at that? I have 1200+ on 10:1s from Lycon, friends have even more.
Tom\RV3 x 2

Last edited by a moderator:
yup

Me too actually.... I'd like to know what the actual avg cylinder life is on the high compression pistons.... Anybody?

Gees Brian... I really think it was POOTA... :) Did anyone point the finger at you? NOT! Slow down and smell the roses. :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I have a trip out to LA at the beginning of August so I am going to try to look at it then.

I was more concerned about the weight of the engine/prop combination than the high compression pistons. I have had the HC pistons on a prior airplane and had no trouble.

Thanks...Jim

I found a local one that was in Atlanta and decided to get that one instead. Brian Wallis
Brian,

I think used to own your RV-3. When I owned it, it was N148CW, painted yellow w/blue & red trim. Put a tailwheel fairing on it. I always like the looks of that :D A buddy said, what, going after that coveted extra half of a knot?

I sold it to a guy named Sonny, if I remember correctly...flew it up to him. I had it overhauled in Alabama, basically an O-320 on steroids. Overhauler said he got 170hp on the dyno.

Fly safe!

RC

Back