What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Temporary Elevator Pivot Bolts

szicree

Well Known Member
I've been using this trick for a long time without thinking it was any big deal, but a friend saw me do it tonight and thought I should pass it along. The same little metal hooks that we all use on tool pegboards work real well in place of elevator and rudder hinge bolts. Just be sure not to exercise the surface through full deflection, since the hook interferes with the stabilizer trailing edge skin.

Steve Zicree
RV4 finishing

szicree said:
I've been using this trick for a long time without thinking it was any big deal, but a friend saw me do it tonight and thought I should pass it along. The same little metal hooks that we all use on tool pegboards work real well in place of elevator and rudder hinge bolts. Just be sure not to exercise the surface through full deflection, since the hook interferes with the stabilizer trailing edge skin.

Steve Zicree
RV4 finishing

Here's what I did... Allen wrenches for temporary pivots, then when you are ready to do final install, slide the bolt in the other end, pushing the wrench out.

Vern Little RV-9A
107_0781_1.jpg

I used bent nails. I like the peg hooks better, though, because they're smooth and won't muck up the bearing bores. I did a lot of grinding of the nails to smooth them out....waste of time.

All good ideas. I went to the aircraft dept at Farm and Fleet, bought a 3 ft length of brass rod and made L shaped pins. Tapered the ends on a grinder for easy insertion and they align the hinges precisely for easy bolt insertion (Especially on that !&%$# rudder). Works on the elevators, ailerons and rudder. Cheap and no scratching of the bearings.

Larry

Back