What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

No remote flip - flop on Garmin SL40 comm

rv72004

Well Known Member
Im busy installing a sl40 comm but there seems to be no provision for a remote comm flip/flop. With the G430 you have a function where you can change stby freq to active on the stick.
If someone knows more about the function on a sl40 it would be appreciated.

Remote Flop Not Avail

As I understand it, this is not an feature of the Sl-40. I looked for it when I installed mine.

I would love to be corrected on this.

pete

Sl40

I have the SL40 and it does not have the flip/flop. The SL30 does though.

I also have the 430 and made it my Comm 1 with flip flop from the stick. The SL40 is Comm2 so it wasn't as important.

I used the Allen stick grips with 4 position switches for trim. Since I don't have elec aileron trim I used the aileron trim for flip/flop and AP disconnect. After wiring the stick per the plans I learned that the switch I'm using for the flip/flop and AP disconnect had to be rewired so cause a ground. Wired per the planes they are powered switches. Before I realized this hitting the flip flop switch caused the 430 to default to 121.5!!

All fixed now and everything works great.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ
Flying next week!!!

SL 40 question

Anybody out there know if it is possible to use a control stick mounted switch to swap the standby/active frequencies in a Garmin SL 40??

If so, what is it, one pin to ground, like the PTT, or a couple of pins together, or something else??

Thanks in advance.

That was one of my biggest complaints to (then) Apollo/UPS was the SL-40 did NOT have an pinout for flip-flop. I'm guessing the Garmin SL-40 does not either. The SL-30 DOES have a pinout for flip-flop... :) Rosie

I looked

for the same thing on the SL-40 and could not find one in the install guide. I do like the serial input from a 396/496 feature to put the GPS frequencies in the standby window.

Flip/Flop

I too was disappointed that there is no flip/flop pin on the SL40.
I dedicated a switch on my Infinity grip for this as the SL60 (comm/gps) that was in my previous plane had it, and the SL30 has it that is going in the other RV8 that I'm building. When I called Garmin AT about it , they said there was not enough room on the connector(15 pin) in back and that the SL30/SL60 get that pin from the Nav connector (37 pin).
Not quite worth $2K+ for the flip flop capability. I'll use the switch for AP disconnect now.

Thanks

Thanks to those who answered, I was afraid that it may not have been possible, but I figured that if anyone knew how to do this, I would find out about it here.

external control flip-flop standy freq. on SL-40

I would like control the stand-by frequency via my Infinity stick but really I've not found the right wire/connection on the SL-40.

Could you give me an idea about ?

Thanks in advance

Tried that.........

As I recall, this is not available on the SL 40.

With any luck, however, someone will prove me wrong, and post the info.

Sorry Luca, but the only way to get flip/flop from the SL40 is a $2000.00 mod.
The good news is you get a Nav. radio for free along with the mod.:D (an SL30)
Best regards,

Is the fuction really there?

I too was disappointed that there is no flip/flop pin on the SL40.
I dedicated a switch on my Infinity grip for this as the SL60 (comm/gps) that was in my previous plane had it, and the SL30 has it that is going in the other RV8 that I'm building. When I called Garmin AT about it , they said there was not enough room on the connector(15 pin) in back and that the SL30/SL60 get that pin from the Nav connector (37 pin).
Not quite worth $2K+ for the flip flop capability. I'll use the switch for AP disconnect now.

If the remote function is really there but not wired to the rear connector, maybe you can mod the SL-40 and give up one of the other pin functions for the flip-flop output. I don't use the intercom or speaker output so I would gladly give one or two of these pins up.

It would be interesting to compare the circuit boards of the radio portion of the SL-30 to the SL-40 to see if the circuit board components are really there. My bet there is over a 50% chance the SL-40 has the parts just not the pinouts.

Any bold SL-30/40 owners out there willing to open up their radios to take a few photos?

Paul

Small Flip/Flop Board

All,

I've designed a small add on board to give the SL40 a remote flip/flop. The board mounts in place of the 15 pin d-sub on the tray and then the original connector can be plugged into the board. One wire needs to be added to the original connector on a unused pin and when that wire is taken to ground the radio will flip/flop. I'll offer these for sale if there is enough interest. The board hasn't been flight tested yet but seems to work well on the ground. I've attached a few pictures.

-Chris

[email protected]

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0499.JPG

Very cool, Chris!

How Much? The 90 deg connector change might be an issue with my wiring and radio stack, but good show!

Chris,
Any chance that connector can be remotely mounted?
Pretty cool, I stand corrected, and Luca, you are saved!:D
Regards,

Thanks, the connector orientation can be an option. I have it as shown because in the RV-8, there is not enough room to have it come straight out the back. I suppose the board could be remotely mounted with a pin to pin pig tail, but I haven't tested it that way.

-Chris

There are Downfalls to the Flip-Flop

I made Scott disconnect the stick flip-flop for the 430W at our last annual. We had a few instances where the passenger hit the flip-flop switch accidentally, and some were by pilot passengers so it wasn't always a situation of "they didn't know better". Since we fly from both the right and left seats, our passengers can be on either side. Fortunately, this never happened in busy airspace or on an IFR flight, but it could. The risk far outweighed the convenience for us.

I made Scott disconnect the stick flip-flop for the 430W at our last annual. We had a few instances where the passenger hit the flip-flop switch accidentally, and some were by pilot passengers so it wasn't always a situation of "they didn't know better". Since we fly from both the right and left seats, our passengers can be on either side. Fortunately, this never happened in busy airspace or on an IFR flight, but it could. The risk far outweighed the convenience for us.

Same happens with my stick flip-flop for the audio panel which flips between two radios. I catch it because the two radios sound a bit different in side tone; but a friend who was flying my plane lost communication, because it had flipped without him knowing. He knows now, of course! But the potiential is there. Because of this, I doubt I'd go out of my way to add a flip-flop to a radio that doesn't have it.

L.Adamson

Back