What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Planning a trip to Dauphin Island Saturday

Mark Burns

Well Known Member
My wife Cindy and I are planning a "day" trip to Dauphin Island on Saturday.
It's just about a 1:45 flight from Farmerville, LA (F87)

I called the Dauphin Island Park and Beach Board and the nice lady said there's a public beach just about 5 blocks from the airport. They have a shower house, so we plan to change into our swim suits there.

It looks like the weather is going to be good. Good and hot! But actually a little cooler than F87.

If anyone's "been there and done that", suggestions would be appreciated!

We plan to get there around 10:00AM local (central)

Anyone else want to go?

Mark

Mark,
I was there about 10 days ago. It's a cool airport to land at. There are about 10 tie downs and all but two were being utilized when we arrived in the afternoon. A few years back there was a local restaurant that provided transportation from the airfield and back, but times have changed! I can't help with the beach access, but it is not a very big place so 5 blocks seems reasonable. There is a restaurant about 1/2 mile from the airport and is situated just to the right side while on an approach to RWY 30. Can't vouch for the restaurant since we ended up walking to the base of the causeway bridge to eat at another restaurant where the food was good, but the service was second rate. The taxi service if required is spotty at best. When we arrived there was a man at the airport who had come in from an offshore well and had been waiting 25 minutes for a taxi. Not sure if this was the norm or not. Have a good time!

Mark,
I was there about 10 days ago. It's a cool airport to land at. There are about 10 tie downs and all but two were being utilized when we arrived in the afternoon. A few years back there was a local restaurant that provided transportation from the airfield and back, but times have changed! I can't help with the beach access, but it is not a very big place so 5 blocks seems reasonable. There is a restaurant about 1/2 mile from the airport and is situated just to the right side while on an approach to RWY 30. Can't vouch for the restaurant since we ended up walking to the base of the causeway bridge to eat at another restaurant where the food was good, but the service was second rate. The taxi service if required is spotty at best. When we arrived there was a man at the airport who had come in from an offshore well and had been waiting 25 minutes for a taxi. Not sure if this was the norm or not. Have a good time!

Rocky,
Thanks for all the info!

Mark

Back