What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carb heat muff???

Scott DellAngelo

Well Known Member
Does it come in the firewall forward kit? I cannot seem to find it, but figured I would ask before ordering one from Van's tomorrow.

Thanks,
Scott
#90598 Baffles done, final details before moving to airport
N598SD reserved

There isn't one...

If the -9 is like the -8, Van's doesn't think you need a muff for carb heat - you just take air from the engine compartment.

That said...I bought a muff, and plumbed real hot air to my carb heat valve! ;)

Paul

Scott DellAngelo said:
Does it come in the firewall forward kit? I cannot seem to find it, but figured I would ask before ordering one from Van's tomorrow

I just got done replacing the Van's carb heat muff that I used on my RV. _Really_ marginal rise. Replaced it with the Wicks carb heat muff - the wicks muff is a direct replacement for Van's and works great.

I have a temp probe in my carb, and haven't yet been in a situation where ice was really much of a possibility. That said, when I turn on the carb heat - I want it to do something.

PS: If anyone wants to paypal me $15 bucks for the Van's muff - I'll send you the one I just removed.

heat muff

I too, replaced the Van's heat muff with one from Wicks:

1 x SS HEAT MUFF-SNGL OUTLET Part Number: EC100-020 (HEAT MUFF - CARB) (EC100-020)
= $54.79

It took exactly 15 minutes to swap out, including safety-wiring the clamps.

Good luck
Vern Little

where is it mounted?

Vern: Do you mount it to the exhaust where they cross over in the front? I seem to remember that being a tight spot. any pictures available? thanks, jack

Back