What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 'ers who golf

glfrdug

Well Known Member
Hey fellow 8ers. My father had some free time in the last month or so and has created a slick way to transport golf clubs in the back luggage bay. We've had this idea since we started the 8 but it finally is done. I will take some digitals soon and be able to post and send to any interested builders and/of flyers.
Doug Bell

5 iron

When I travel and want to golf, I just bring the 5 iron. What more do you need? :)

RV8 Golf Club Rack Pictures

Fellow builders, flyers and golfers....Here are a few pics of the Golf Club Rack designed by my father Doug Sr. The concept I had was that if I could safely get my clubs to a location with me, I could either borrow a bag or I can take a colapsable "sunday" bag. The weight of a golf club being 90% in the head, this rack places the club heads very close to the rear seat when its closed. A small foam block will be adhered to the rear seat back that will close against the clubheads so they do not rattle or move around.
These pics will show the rack installed, and out on the bench so you can see its simplicity.
The rear bulkhead is the same, just "Holy" now and a support bracket is installed and supported by a top Screw, and two screws on the sides...
The front new bulkhead bracket can be removed in less than 10 minutes by sliding out the plastice tubes and removing 3 screws so that the luggage bay is normal, other than a holy rear bulhead.
We have not flight tested with the clubs in yet to report any CG issues.

Doug

The first shot is of the rack installed in the 8 with a few clubs inserted
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

This shot shows the new bulkhead rack installed with no tubes yet
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

This shot is of the new bulkhead support rack on the bench
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
More Pictures

This one shows the rear bulkhead on the bench with hole pattern drilled
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

This one shows the rack out of the 8, on the bench with tubes installed and a few clubs for reference
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Same pic as above without clubs and showing overall size
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Shot of the attach point at the top of the new support bulkhead through rail
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
One last batch of pics

This one shows the side attach point
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

This shows the same attach point a wider view
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

This one shows the rear bulkhead with most tubes slid through, a few left out for reference
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
club rack

glfrdug said:
Fellow builders, flyers and golfers....Here are a few pics of the Golf Club Rack designed by my father Doug Sr. ...
Very nice work!

glfrdug said:
The concept I had was that if I could safely get my clubs to a location with me, I could either borrow a bag or I can take a colapsable "sunday" bag.

Bag? You don't need no stinkin' bag. I say you taxi that thing right out onto the course and get your name in the paper as the guy who built a flying golf cart in his garage.

great idea. i also seem to recall someone contemplating a belly pod on an RV4 in the distant past....could be interesting on an 8 :D

Back