What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ellison vs FI

SvingenB

Well Known Member
I imagine the Ellison is alltogether a simpler install/operation than FI? Are there any differences in performance. Does anyone have any experience with both?

Thanks

I imagine the Ellison is alltogether a simpler install/operation than FI? Are there any differences in performance. Does anyone have any experience with both?

Thanks

I have used both, the Ellison is a simple bolt on replacement for a carb. It has very few moving parts and was quite reliable for me. Ben Ellison recommends carb type heat but some guys remove it after years of no ice. I think, technically, it is a single point fuel injection system. Ellison also recommends 100LL fuel only. GM used it on some high end engines years ago like the Northstar.

I can not comment on performance issues so far as efficiency is concerned. With Ellison I pulled the mixture back to a slight rumble and then forward to get a smooth operation, worked very well. With AFP, I've done about the same to this point. The EGT's are quite spread, the injectors will need tuning down the road to get the temps more aligned. With Ellison, what you see is what you get. Also, with AFP, it will accept any kind of fuel. Both systems provide plenty to the engine. :)

The current AFP unit runs at 17.2 gph at full rich on take off. Ellison will do likewise.

I have both

Injection allows for more aggressive leaning and LOP operations if you balance your injectors. As stated above, you get what you get with the Ellison, just like a carb.
RV6-IO360, lean to 50 LOP with EGT, or lean to significant loss of power (never does get rough) enrich slightly and, bam, you get the same thing.
Bucker - O320, lean to roughness, enrich slightly, and based on my one EGT, that is around 75-100 ROP.

I know Ellison recommend 100LL only, but I have been thinking this is due to ethanol? I can't think of anything else. Right now 100LL is twice the price of unlead 95/98 octane (ethanol free), and biofuels have lost all credibility here, and will most likely never enter large scale distribution.

100LL is about 9 US$ per gallon
unlead 98/95 octane ethanol free is 4.5 US$ per gallon

Has anyone run mogas on an ellison?

Back