What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ellison setup/plumbing

rjcthree

Well Known Member
Those of you running an Ellison, can you please describe your plumbing/setup, with gascollator & filter details, and routing? Thanks.

Rick 90432

Rick,
The plumbing is the same as a carbuerator. I ran a choke type cable to run the mixture because it will curve around and easily make the 90 deg turn (side to side). The Throttle cable is straight forward push pull. I have been running one for 15 years with no problems but they are slightly different than a carb. Always keep in mind to keep your electric boost pump on durring hot starts and climb outs.
Ryan
RV4 131RB

TBI or not TBI...

Rick,

I installed an Ellison TBI on my Dad's RV-6 Hybrid 0-320A. In direct comparison with the carb it replaced I gained about 5-10% performance increase across the board. Setting the idle up took the longest amount of time, follow the instructions in the manual and it's no worries. I had to back it off three and a half turns from the in stop to get a smooth idle. It runs smoother at high end, easier to lean and it doesn't burp during vertical rolls:)
Plumbing setup as stated above, I didn't use a primer line, starts just fine with just the boost pump and engine rotation. Check your email, I sent you some tips sent to me from a few Ellison operators.

Smokey
HR2

I've had great success with two in the past on non-rv's and currently installing one on my -3. I have increased the depth of the van's FAB to try and get the minimum vertical dimension specified in the Ellison Manual.
The stock fiberglass bowl is deep enouph to get almost 3" as spec'd if the airbox top is turned "flange-down". I made a 1" spacer to fill the gap between the "carb plate" and the airfilter top. I have the boost pump and gascolator on the cabin side of the firewall to keep them cool and a cooling shroud around the mechanical fuel pump. I did get some vapour lock after landings with a long taxi on previous set-ups. I did have to widen one side of the cowl inlet scoop for adequate clearance to the right side of the now-lowered airbox. I cut one side off, moved it over 1/2" and reglassed it, it almost looks centered now. All this may be overkill but I haven't gone wrong following Ellison's instructions in the past.
Mike

Thanks for the replies . . . but . . .

I was hoping for some PLUMBING detail. Right now I'm planning tanks to valve, valve to boost pump, boost pump to collator, collator over the top to the mech pump (H2AD), mech pump back down to filter mounted to the FW, (the 70 micron requirement), filter to TB. All insulated/firesleeved of course.

Thoughts?

Rick

Ellison Install

Next time I amnear the plane...might be 10 days or so, I'll take some pics and try to email them to you
My install is boost pump through the gascolator, then to the filter required and then down to the ellison.
Smooth and worry free since 2004
I have a primer installled on mine

Rick,
My plumbing is very simple and has worked well. Tanks to the valve, valve to the electric boost pump, electric boost pump to the gascolator, gascolator to the mechanical boost pump, then to the Ellison. They recomended a smaller filter in line but I thought the screen in the gascolator would do the trick. I never liked the thought of a paper filter in line that could clog over time with water. Hope this helps.
Good luck
Ryan

Use the Andair Gascolator

Mike,
Mine is plumbed from the tanks to the valve, to the boost pump to the gascolator (on firewall) with one output to the electrical primer valve and the other to the mechanical fuel pump. The Ellison has the very fine mesh finger screen just inside the body of the TBI. I use the Andair gascolator with the 70 micron mesh--not a filter. Check their website:
http://www.andair.co.uk/pages/gastest.shtml

--You'll love the Ellison. Tho it can be a little rough on hot, long taxis at low idle.

Missed the Andair

Somehow I missed the Andair with the 70u filter. Simple, easy done. Thx. RIck

Back