What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Convert XP 0-360 to fuel injection

Kenny Gene

Well Known Member
Hello all you aviation enthusiasts'
I'm thinking I want to convert my XP-Superior O-360 carb to fuel injection. I occasionally get a small burp and #3 CHT runs 395 to 400 (all time high of 427) I have dual Lightspeed electronic ignition also.
What is involved going with the Precision Airmotive Slilver Hawk EX and/or is there anything else available that I should consider?
Can anyone share their experiences?
Will I have to modify the intake box (7A)?
What about the air filter?
Thanks for the help.
Kenny Gene

Something to consider is AirFlow Performance system.. they have the whole kit.. so it appears to be a one-stop shop.. and seems to be competitively priced (if not better than precision?)

Link, phone?

Please add a link, phone number, name of a person someone has worked with that I can call for additional information is this quest.
Thank you very much for everyone's response and help.
Kenny Gene

You can also get the Precision Silverhawk in a complete kit form (includes hoses, clamps, screws, etc) from Mattituck: http://www.mattituck.com. Click on "Experimental Engines" on the left and the Fuel Injection conversion kits are the bottom right button.

Bob
RV-10 N442PM

I switched to FI

from carb to AFP and have been very pleased although this would not likely change your CHT. I also have dual LSI and my CHT's rarely top 350 in climb and normally around 320 or less in cruise depending on pwr setting. Lots of work for the change over, fuel pumps, cables, brackets, fuel filters, plumbing, hoses, purge valve (on the AFP)... well you get the idea :D

Walt, was it "worth it?" I know that's a bit subjective.. just curious what your thoughts are... I had considered doing it at some point, but since I can run LOP w/ the carb, I've put that on hold for now..

Well that's a tuff one, I can definately run LOP with a smoother engine, I could also run LOP with the carb but it would start getting rough much sooner. Overall the engine runs a bit smoother all the time as well and EGT/CHT are closer than they were (about .2GPH spread). I lost the easier starting of the carb (mostly when hot) and now have some loaping at idle speeds in hot weather due to fuel boiling in the injector lines.

Overall I am very pleased with FI, would I do it again...yes but next time I will do it when I build as it was a lot of work (which I enjoy) to change over along with a good chunk of change by the time I was done :eek:

Well said Walt.

After talking with Don at API today, (Very knowledgable and helpful) your summary is correct. As I understand it, Fuel Injection (FI) will help your engine run smoother than the carb, Could improve fuel by 5%, Could help my CHT (Don't expect it), will take 40 to 60 hours to install, has additional benefits like aerobatics and will lighten your wallet by $3,500 including all the pumps, hoses and nut.
Kenny Gene

Kenny

Do you have a washer behind #3 clylinder to hold the baffle off the cylinder and improve cooling? It really helps drop the CHT.

Peter

Back