What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint Shop Review- Euroair Aviation

sprucemoose

Well Known Member
Last month, I celebrated the 5 year anniversary of flying the Spruce Moose. Five years of flying it around in bare aluminum and primer, that is. I did make one previous attempt to get it painted, but that went, uh, not as I had planned.

Well, it's time to try again. I managed to scrape together enough scratch to take it to a paint shop. After looking around and talking to some builders about their paint shop experience, I chose Euroair Aviation in Reedsburg, WI. www.euroairaviation.com. You can follow along and watch the progress on their website here:

http://www.euroairaviation.com/jeff-rv-6.html

Right now it is in the prep phase, as you can see.

This thread will serve two purposes- 1) to show some pics of the painting in progress, and 2) a report on my experience with Euroair.

Stay tuned for further information.

what's a typical paint budget?

for NOT doing it yourself.

yeah, I know it's probably all over the place on price depending on what one wants, but I'm curious about high and low end. I'm flying naked now, waiting on the obama paint stimulus package.

Cool

I'm glad you're doing this Jeff!

I'll be looking for a paint shop for my -8 in about a year and Reedsburg is close enough to haul the thing in pieces so it's painted at first flight!

Just don't want to end up in stuck in that place having too much fun flying to lay her up for paint!

When it's done I'd like to see it in person. I'm around 57C often.

Euroairs's prices are on their website, and they are pretty reasonable compared to other shops in the area.

Jesse- I missed you at the meeting Tuesday, I have something for you. Gimme a call sometime.

Nice

Jeff,

This is great timing for us. We've been looking at his shop for a year now and just about ready to reserve a spot on the schedule. Look forward to checking in on your plane. Fly into Reedsburg with Chapter 1158 often.

Bunch of new pics just posted today.

Jesse- before you go truck it over there for painting, talk to me first. I highly recommend not painting before flying. It is likely that you will find lots of little things that rub, crack, and generally play havoc with your paint. Easier to fix this stuff when it's not painted. Why not fly off the test period, then get it painted?

Bunch of new pics just posted today.

Jesse- before you go truck it over there for painting, talk to me first. I highly recommend not painting before flying. It is likely that you will find lots of little things that rub, crack, and generally play havoc with your paint. Easier to fix this stuff when it's not painted. Why not fly off the test period, then get it painted?

There are some that go without paint for the test period, others who end up going year after year without getting the job done................and those who paint first.

I'm one who painted first, and many acquaintances have done the same. In a nutshell, we've had minor to no problems in which not painting would have been an advantage.

And I'm sure glad I painted first. I don't have to fly an ugly plane around. I don't have to take it apart once it's been flying. I don't have to worry about getting all the oil residue from between the overlaps and rivets for paint to adhere. I don't have to worry about a re-balance of the elevator from paint weight, or a new weight and balance proceedure.

RV's by design, and the fact that 6000+ are flying; just seem to fly as intended. It's not an experimental that requires a lot of re-work to fly properly.

I would definately take it in for painting before final assembly, without a second thought. As I said, this is based on my own experience and so my others that I know of.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

But I want to fly!!!

I am 70 years old. When I started this project in 2002 (bought my 7A kit at SNF) I intended to paint first. Now however, I am afraid another 3 to 4 months to paint will mean I MIGHT not ever fly. Who knows at my age!!!

I have every hope of flying this summer. Painting will have to wait!

I am 70 years old. When I started this project in 2002 (bought my 7A kit at SNF) I intended to paint first. Now however, I am afraid another 3 to 4 months to paint will mean I MIGHT not ever fly. Who knows at my age!!!

Carl, your going to be flying for at least another ten years. Do that paint job you want to do.
I'm 68 this year and I've just ordered a 9a kit, and I can tell you now it will be painted before it rolls out for the first flight. Think positive!!!!!

Thanks,

Retired Racer I do have every hope of flying for at least another 10 years.

John Miller flew his personal Bonanza into his 100's. God rest his soul!

I intend to live like I will live forever, however, just in case, I will fly now and paint later. I am sure I can paint, which I intend to do myself, during and after my flight test.

CAVU!

While we're all eagerly awaiting some more photos, let me fill in the gaps with some info about Euroair.

I found out about Euroair about a year ago, through a local guy who was looking at having his Cherokee repainted there. I'd checked out their website at the time, and noticed that their prices were quite a bit lower than other paint shops in the area. On the website, there are pictures of numerous past projects, so I looked up a couple of RVs and, through the miracle of the internet, got in tough with the owners. Both had good things to say about both the quality of the work and the experience with the shop. So, I called them up.

The proprietor of the shop is Denis Stefanek. Denis is a Czeck native, and he speaks with the requisite thick accent. During my first phone conversation, Denis impressed me with his down-to-earth, no BS style. He may not win any salesmanship awards, but he is right to the point, and I for one like dealing with people like that. Especially when large sums of my money are involved.

Anyway, the phone call led to a flight over the Reedsburg Airport (C35, only about 82NM from me) over to check out his shop. This was back in late January, and the weather had warmed up to around 8F that day. The week prior it had been cold, so cold in fact that Denis told me that he could not get his shop up to temperature to paint, even with all the heaters going full bore! Life in the upper Midwest...

Anyway, during this first visit, I met Denis and some of his help, got to talk in person and size him up and, most importantly, got to see a couple of examples of his work. My reaction after looking at a couple of airplanes that he painted went something like this- "Well, it probably won't win a Gold Lindy, but it looks better than anything that I could do myself." And, frankly, this was the kind of paint job I was looking for. A good paint job can make a bad airplane look good, but a bad paint job can make a masterpiece look like a mistake. And I had no interest in spending mega kilodollars on paint. My airplane is most definitely a go plane, not a show plane.

Well, at that first meeting, I was impressed enough to sign a contract and pay the $500 deposit. I flew home with a singed contract and a book of paint chips. The start date was scheduled for April 10th, which gave me enough time to take it back home and get most of the annual inspection completed prior to going into the shop.

Due to scheduling issues (mine, not Denis') I delivered the plane about a week early. Denis told me to expect about a 3 week turnaround time (from April 10) and I was somewhat pessimistic about that, but I nonetheless left my baby in his care. That was more of an emotional experience than I care to admit, but I digress.

Fast forward a few weeks. I talked to Denis on Friday May 1st. He was having a bit of a fisheye issue on the fiberglass that fairs the leading edge of the canopy into the glareshield skin. After some discussion, we decided that the cause was likely that I had been cleaning my canopy with Plexus (a great product BTW) for 5 years and 500 hours, and that likely some of the Plexus had gotten onto the fiberglass and was causing the fisheye. Armed with this information, he told me that he would do some more work and make it right. He did tell me that, had he not had this issue, the plane would have likely been done on Saturday 5-2. That is 3 weeks and 1 day for those keeping score at home. The Plexus problem set us back a few days, but that is OK.

The Plexus problem brings up a discussion point. As many of you know, I have been a vocal advocate of not painting your RV prior to flying it. During my flight test period, I found several little places where things rubbed, fiberglass cracked, etc. It took some work to repair and strengthen the effected areas, but if these areas were already painted, it would require much, much more work to repaint and blend in the repaired areas. So, I think you are better off waiting until your flight test period is flown off, then painting.

However, I do acknowledge, more readily than before, that there are strong arguments on the other side. Painting the plane in pieces is much easier than painting in one big chunk. Plus, the longer it is flown, the more chance for contaminants like grease, oil, Plexus etc. to get where they shouldn't be and cause problems. This is one for the neverending debates section, no doubt.

More to follow...

Last edited:
That is exactly why am painting before!

I am admittedly a few years younger than you (22 younger) but when I wanted to paint it myself. Having painted a few airplanes completely I can tell you when you at least get the prime and overall color on a component at a time, it will be a more complete protection and you can paint each piece in a positional jig of your choosing.

If you are going to pay someone else it will be less expensive being painted assembled, but the piece by piece is better IMHO.:)

Best wishes and....

Last edited:
Ahh, to be 22 again.

You are right Tom. The piece by piece method is a better way to go.

I will remove parts to paint but, I am not looking forward to crawling under wings and fuselage to spray up. I however have never been one to shirk a tough job even though it is a tough job getting up from the floor anymore. I really enjoy doing my own work even though it may not be quite as good as a professional. I am glad the painter above has the drive to not call a job finished when there are fish-eyes or other problems. I like that kind of person!

I did a frame off restore on a 65 Corvett in 1985. The only thing we sort of farmed out was the motor. My Son had a friend whose Dad had a motor overhaul business and they allowed him to be involved in the process. He learned a lot.

I sprayed 25 coats of lacquer on it and it was a beautiful job. Hopefully my plane will come out as well.

The Plexus problem brings up a discussion point. As many of you know, I have been a vocal advocate of not painting your RV prior to flying it. During my flight test period, I found several little places where things rubbed, fiberglass cracked, etc. It took some work to repair and strengthen the effected areas, but if these areas were already painted, it would require much, much more work to repaint and blend in the repaired areas. So, I think you are better off waiting until your flight test period is flown off, then painting.

I see you're a EAA chapter president... :)

Well; when I discussed this thread yesterday, with our local EAA president who has built two 9A's.......................he said "why"? In other words, why would you not want to paint first? His 9 still looks as good as the day it was painted, and has around 230 hrs on it now. Mine has the same paint (Sherwin Williams Genesis) which as been on for two years; and still looks as shinny. I'm at 70 hrs. This paint is tough as nails, impervious to chemicals and yet flexible.

He made a slight adjustment with his horizontal stab which didn't effect the fairing, and I lightly squeezed an aileron for a heavy wing, but it didn't effect the paint job or looks. I did have to add a rudder trim tab since my vertical stab has no built in offset; but it's not a big deal to paint. My wheel pants and fairings are not painted either. I sure wish they were! It's a pain to remove them, when I'd rather fly! I think that's the reason that so many go for years without paint, if they didn't do it in the first place. It's just more fun to fly, and a genuine pain to have to rip it apart and have a month or two of downtime. Just do it now! :D

IMO.............. they "ain't" done, until they're painted! :D

L.Adamson ---- RV6A

they "ain't" done, until they're painted! :D
Airplanes are like houses. They ain't done until you sell them.

Here's a list of the things that I can think of off the top of my head, that I had to do after the first flight, that would have played havoc on an already painted plane.

1. Rudder trim tab
2. Cracked upper gear fairings
3. Re-worked lower gear fairings and glassed to wheel pants
4. Front of tip-up canopy- left the gap a little too small, caught the skin, cracked the fglass fillet all to ****.
5. Both fuel tanks removed for fuel pickup SB
6. Alternator rubbing small hole in cowl (common problem.)
7. Seeping rivet on one tank.

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure there is something else. You may be lucky and your list may be shorter than mine, but there will be issues like this to deal with, and having an unpainted plane makes dealing with them easier.

Last edited:
Airplanes are like houses. They ain't done until you sell them.

Here's a list of the things that I can think of off the top of my head, that I had to do after the first flight, that would have played havoc on an already painted plane.

1. Rudder trim tab
2. Cracked upper gear fairings
3. Re-worked lower gear fairings and glassed to wheel pants
4. Front of tip-up canopy- left the gap a little too small, caught the skin, cracked the fglass fillet all to ****.
5. Both fuel tanks removed for fuel pickup SB
6. Alternator rubbing small hole in cowl (common problem.)
7. Seeping rivet on one tank.

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure there is something else. You may be lucky and your list may be shorter than mine, but there will be issues like this to deal with, and having an unpainted plane makes dealing with them easier.

Yes, my list is a whole lot shorter. Only the rudder tab would apply. The tank SB was done before painting, and final assembly. And of course most builders would be aware of the SB by now. I used a tight belt for the alternator, and my hand can fit between it and the cowl. It's a 60 amp. Wheel pants and fairings can be done or re-worked anytime. They do get beat up! The 9A I spoke of, has had an in-flight flat and nose pants damage from a tow bar; but that can happen before or after paint. They were simply re-glassed and repainted.

Would probably be wise to sit in the plane and make airplanes sounds quite often, until the canopy and fit works well. I know that I did. But it's a slider.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Larry makes some good points. This is a good topic for debate. I don't claim that my way is the only way, just want to give some food for thought for those thinking about painint.

In the mean time, new pics have been posted:

It's getting close! God willing and wx cooperates, I'll be bringing her home on Thursday.

Jeff -

I'll be having my -8 painted next winter. At this point in my life, having completely restored a Citabria including new wing spars, wiring, etc. plus recover and paint, and having built an award winning Christen Eagle II, I am no longer in the 'painting business'. Yes, if the plane is disassembled IMO you will get a better overall job. However, in order to keep harmony at my house - wife was understanding (sort of) when I took over the garage for the Citabria and Eagle painting. The Eagle took a year and a half to cover and paint and I don't want to push my luck at home. Also, because of the toxicity of the chemicals and paint used during a paint job, I have absolutely no desire to paint another one.

So I have started looking around at paint shops and had pretty much decided to use Glo near Dallas, TX. However Euroair now has my interest as well. Question - what major airport are they near, and will they provide shuttle service to/from so that I can use commercial airline service after I drop the -8 off, and then again fior the return to pick it up? Thanks

weighing in

I've heard both sides of this argument for years. Initially, I was on the side of painting first, then flying. However, upon getting close to flight, the wheel pants and fairings had not been installed. I didn't want to have two paint sessions. During the 40 hour fly off, I mounted the wheel pants and fairing and made a few other adjustment here and there.

I am now firmly in the camp of flying first then painting. There are too many issues that can arise that could ruin a great paint job. Sure there have been a few that have painted first. If they were truly being honest, I'll bet that most would say to wait. After all, it is going to be down for a period of time either way.

Now, there are a few things to consider if waiting to paint. Select a date to take it out of service and stick with it. With a couple of buddies you can have it torn down to pieces (if not painting it whole) in about 4 hours. During the down time, clean and organize the hangar, build a model plane etc... The time will go faster than you think. When done, it will take less than a day to get it back together. Not a big deal.

Bottom line, get it painted one way or another.

HeHeHe

I'm sure in Jeff's case there was 2 weeks of body work and a week of paint:D

And, you mocked me for my colors!!!! Which wing are the arches going on? Are you going to have Ronald tail art?

Good job. Just park it on a corner at Osh so it will feel at home.

Man the extra cup of coffee has me in rare form.

Larry makes some good points. This is a good topic for debate. I don't claim that my way is the only way, just want to give some food for thought for those thinking about painint.

In the mean time, new pics have been posted:

It's getting close! God willing and wx cooperates, I'll be bringing her home on Thursday.

Sure there have been a few that have painted first. If they were truly being honest, I'll bet that most would say to wait. After all, it is going to be down for a period of time either way.

No,no,no!!!!!! :D

We've got a whole lot of RV's in this neck of the woods, and the majority have been painted first. I've yet to run into someone who painted first, and felt that they should have waited. I've been around RV's for 15 years now. Painting wheel pants and fairings afterwards isn't too difficult. Wheel pants and fairings also get the most abuse, so you'll probably paint again anyway.

What it really comes down to is money and time. If you've got the $6000-$8000+ just sitting around, then fine. At many airports, you can't paint on the airport property, so you'll have to fly it somewhere else. If you're building this plane in your garage and can setup a paint booth, and would rather budget around $1500 to $2000 for paint, then why not?

There really is two sides of the argument here. I'm just presenting the opposite side... :)

L.Adamson

Man the extra cup of coffee has me in rare form.
No, it's really not that rare. Maybe I can use some of your Easter Eggs to make an Egg McMuffin! Hey, at least we agree and flying before painting.

Jim- The nearest airline airport is Madison, about an hour away from Reedsburg. I don't know about shuttle service, but I'm guessing they would. You'd have to call them directly.

Last edited:
Jeff, Old Buddy.....

...did they use MEK or Acetone to get the gummy stuff off from your bumper stickers??!! :p

Here is my 2cents....

My name is Denis and I'm Euroair Aviation - aircraft paint shop owner.

Thank you all very much for your interest and time which you did spend on my web, SPECIAL THANKS to Jeff for posting link to my web and his page.

I see here is hot discuse about painting first / flying first. Here is my opinion as "day-night-weekends-holidays painter":
I would not want to step on nobody's toe, however painting aircraft is better after 40 hour fly-off. Here are the reasons:

1) most aircraft has more than one collor - it is very difficult to match lines, stirpes etc., when aircraft is disassembled.
2) after flyoff there is usualy bunch of stuff, which may need to be fixed, adjusted, replaced, inspected..... it make sense to do it with out fresh paint on the plane.
3) unless you paint your plane by your self in garage, it is more difficult to get it to paint shop by parts, and even more difficult to get those painted parts back home with out damaging paint.
4) paint / fillers may hide some imperfections, which you can see just when aircraft is complete...

There is many more reasons why to wait and paint the plane after flying it first. I'm also sure that lot of you painted your planes before flying it and you did get great results and if you would build another bird, you would do it same way again.
However, this apply specialy to first time builders - my last and main reason to paint the plane after 40 hours fly-off, which i believe make most sense: First make sure your plane is flying correctly and safely, then make sure it is cute...

If any of you have any question about painting aircraft or parts, feel free to call me or email me, I will try to help.... There is contact info on my web..

Thanks Denis

Last edited:
Great Job

Denis did a very nice job on my RV-7 he painted for me. Check out his web site i believe it is still the only 7 he has painted so far, but with the quality of work I'm sure he will be doing allot more.

Dave Herrmann

However, this apply specialy to first time builders - my last and main reason to paint the plane after 40 hours fly-off, which i believe make most sense: First make sure your plane is flying correctly and safely, then make sure it is cute...

Happily, the vast majority of RV's fly correctly and safely the very first flight. It's a very proven aircraft! :)

Do I think un-painted RV's are UGLY? Most certainly! Unfortunately, many of them stay ugly for years. Far past that 40 hrs...

In the case of a friend of mine. He had a professional painter come to his shop, which was partially converted into a paint booth. Of course, this isn't practical for everyone. But his feeling was; that if it didn't get painted before flight, it probably still wouldn't be today.

You see, the first RV he built, took four years to get it painted! :D

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Thanks Jeff

as50.jpg

...clear sky and shiny landings...

Back