What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Builders Log

Adam Oke

Well Known Member
Does the MD-RA or TC require Canadian Builders to maintain a builders log?

The only thing I can find on amateur built logs are CAR 549.25

549.25 Log Books and Maintenance Records

In accordance with Air Regulation 826 (1) a Journey Log Book and Technical Log Books are required for each amateur-built aircraft.

Adam

I did my pre-close inspection for everything at once...fuse, wings, emp, rudder, etc. My inspector wasn't interested in my build-log or my pics, although I did show them to him. I don't know if they are mandatory in Canada but builder's logs with pics are a good idea anyway. When you start doing maintainence on your finished RV, I think having some reference of what is behind that skin may be handy some day. Just my opinion.
Regards

Not that I know of. I have never been asked for one nor any builders around here have been asked to produce one. There no mention of it on the MD-RA site.

The only reason I ask is because a friend of mine asked if I have a builder log ready to go. (Just a pilot, non-builder ... but has a lot of interest.) I said that TC or MD-RA does not require one, and he was quick argue. Further investigation so far proved that they are not mandatory. But when I got reading the MD-RA checklist Question 17 asks:

Has the builder established a project record system?

Just making sure there is no requirement for logs. I'll be keeping my site up to date when the time comes. All original size pictures will be kept and such. Making notes of dates in the preview plans. I figure that should be ample for personal records.

Ref: http://www.md-ra.com/pdfs/what_inspectors_ck.PDF

I don't think it's required. I do it anyway.... you can check my website. That way, I can know what is done and it makes a good ressource for future RV-9 builders. Most of my friends look at my website for updates every days or so...

I remember hearing something (from a builder in Canada) about having pictures of yourself working on the plane... not required but easier to convince the guy that you actually did it all yourself.

I've also setup a webcam in my shop... it snaps pictures at 5min interval... but I like messing with this stuff, I'm a tech geek :D

What was required of me

My inspector asked for a one page summary of the build. Example: empennage built between x date and y date. wings built between x date and y date etc. What they are looking for is proof that you built the plane. They are not interested in a day by day summary of your build.

Back