What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mattituck in Fairhope, AL?

13brv3

Well Known Member
Greetings,

I'm currently deciding between Aerosport, and Mattituck. I noticed that Mattituck has a facility in Fairhope, AL, which is very close to me. If I ordered an engine, would I be able to get it there, or does it have to come from NY?

Thanks,
Rusty

What I was told.....

Rusty,

During my visit to Mattituck, I asked a few questions about the "Other" location, and learned that basically, that is a Teledyne Continental facility, and no one from Mattituck had ever been there. When Mattituck was bought by Teledyne, they apparently really, really wanted the Mattituck name, because of it's outstanding reputation. They put the name on their Alabama facility, but it rellay has no other connection (except for corporate) to the folks up in New York. Note that I haven't mentioned any names of the folks that told me this - don't want to get anyone in trouble with their Corporate Headquarters....

I'd go to Long Island again in a heartbeat to have an engine built!

Paul

Rusty,
The Fairhope facility is a service FBO not an engine shop facility. You could order your engine through that facility but it would be assembled in NY. The Fairhope facility provides a full line of FBO type services but does not overhaul or assemble complete engines there.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

Thanks for the comments. Pity they don't make engines in Fairhope. It would have been really convenient.

Cheers,
Rusty

Alabama

Rusty,
Mike Ballard and I both took delivery of our Mattituck engines a couple of months ago, and I attended thier seminar earlier this month. Mike lives in Lanette and I live in Alexander city. If you want to see the engines, please stop by. We would love to answer any of your questions.

I agree with Paul, I'd buy another Mattituck engine in a heartbeat. Simply for the support if not anything else. We'll be starting our engines for the first time in a couple of weeks.

Tom

Thanks for the offer Tom, but it's not likely I'll make it up that way. At the moment, I've got Mattituck and Aerosport pretty much neck and neck as far as the actual quality of the engine, and reputation of the companies.

Unfortunately, Mattituck is losing big points in warranty. Aerosport's prices include a 3 year warranty, and Mattituck is only 1 year. If you take the optional 3 year warranty from Mattituck, the price goes up $2k, which puts it about $1500 over Aerosport. If I'm mistaken about this, please correct me.

Cheers,
Rusty

Not to make your choice harder....

...but give Mahlon a call. I get the feeling that they will stand behind their work if there is a problem becasue of something they did.

I was just where you were with Aerosport and Mattituck a dead heat on quality of engine, quality of support and advice, and overall praise from everyone else. I went with Mattituck because the logistics were easier for me, and from what everyone else says, I am quitesure I would have been happy with one of Bart's engines as well.

Bottom line - you'll drive yourself nuts trying to choose between the two on the engine and support - the tie will be broken on something trivial, like taxes, travel and shipping costs... ;)

Paul

Back