What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jose Flybones and his RV-3 in Key West

tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I had the pleasure on Friday night April 24th of assisting Ye Mystic Airkrewe, a group of aviators from Tampa Florida, with a parade in Key West. The parade is the prelude to the "battle".

Each year the Florida Keys, aka the "Conch Republic" secedes from the union and declares its independance. The federal forces show up, in the form of a Coast Guard Cutter assigned to Key West, in an attempt to put down the rebellion. The federal forces are driven off by local boats with water balloons and the Conch Republic Airforce consisting of a Stearman, a super cub and a Citabria who bomb the coast guard cutter with toilet paper and cuban bread. YMA flew high cover for the bombers with a flight of four.

The parade float of YMA is an RV3 piloted by Jose Flybones:

img0313y.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking float!

Sorry I missed all the fun with the krewe.

I arrived in Key West one day late but was greated by Tony when my wife and I was attempting to put on our canopy cover in the strong & gusty winds at Key West. He came to our rescue.

Tony, thanks for your help. My wife & I enjoyed meeting you & look forward to future krewe gatherings.

Last edited:
When is this

Hiya guys!
When does this parade happen??
Thanks!!

I found out on line looks like it starts April 16th and goes till the 25th with the Air Force making its show on the 23rd of April;-)

Last edited:
Hiya guys!
When does this parade happen??
Thanks!!

I found out on line looks like it starts April 16th and goes till the 25th with the Air Force making its show on the 23rd of April;-)

You're correct with the dates.
Our group does the invasion formation flyover and our ground crew coordinates along with the parade, bead throw...
I missed it last year as it conflicted with SNF & I had already committed.

Here's our website. It's a fun group that does a lot of flyover events including military memorials.
http://www.yemysticairkrewe.com/

Here's the Key West invasion schedule.
http://www.conchrepublic.com/schedule.htm

Hi Dan
Was wondering could you tell me what the best time to go during that week is?
I was thinking of being in Key West for the 23-26? Would love to see you guys fly and the parade. Thanks

Hi Dan
Was wondering could you tell me what the best time to go during that week is?
I was thinking of being in Key West for the 23-26? Would love to see you guys fly and the parade. Thanks

I believe we fly in Thurs 4/22. Some will depart Sat 4/24. We like to stay for the bed races on Sat evening and leave Sunday morning. The Krewe has a block of rooms reserved. Send me a PM & I can give more details.

Hey Dan:D
Made arrangements today, my wife and I are planning on leaving Pa on 4/22 ron at X51 on the night of the 22nd and then head to Key West Friday early AM and staying until Sunday. Hope to see you and say hello in person;-)

Hey Dan:D
Made arrangements today, my wife and I are planning on leaving Pa on 4/22 ron at X51 on the night of the 22nd and then head to Key West Friday early AM and staying until Sunday. Hope to see you and say hello in person;-)

Hi Kirk,
Sent you a PM re:specifics.
Looking forward to meeting you there.

Back