What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help me plan a flight to Houston area.

Caveman

Well Known Member
Hey guys (& gals),

I'd like to fly my wife down to the Houston area to visit her sister next weekend and we'd spend a few days. My sister in law lives in Sealy, Tx just West of Houston and Katy. I see lots of private strips but no public airports real close to Sealy.

Is the Brenham airport that is about 30 miles North (11R) the same Brenham that you guys flew to for Louise's B-day get together? Would that be a good place to fly in to and leave my RV-7 tied down or hangared for one or two nights?

Are there closer or better choices? I'd rather not make them drive too far to come pick us up if I can help it? Are any of the private strips RV friendly?

Suggestions on activities and airports appreciated. We did the Galveston, Kemah boardwalk thing the last time we were down. Is the space center open for tours on the weekend? Any tips on visiting there would be great!

Thanks,

Joe

Last edited:
The nearest public airport to Sealy would be Houston Executive (KTME); it's a brand new airport... well, not brand spankin' new, but only open for 2-3 years or so. Located approx 15 miles E of Sealy just off I-10. It's a nice facility; FBO is still in a temporary trailer but it does just fine and they have a huge new storage hangar that I'm sure would accomodate an RV for a few nights. Reasonable self serve fuel prices and attentive service. Check 'em out.

In answer to your last question, yes - Space Center Houston is open weekends. They have lots of exhibits and tram tours of the Space center itself. Another interesting place to go if you like machinery is the Battleship Texas - lots of neat passageways to wander through.

I agree that KTME would be a good choice for a visit to Sealy. And if you get a chance to go for lunch, definitely fly the few miles up to Brenham and eat at the diner - good food and great malts!

Paul

Thanks everyone!

West Houston Executive (KTME) it is. It looks like the trip date may have been postponed, though. The sis-in-law has a religious retreat this weekend. I'm sure we'll be down within a few months. We'll check out 11R as well when we do go. I was looking forward to the first long cross country in the new airplane.

KTME

I am based at TME, Nice place, good service. They have crew, rent cars, and cheep SS fuel.

call ahead for car, hotel, and hanger.

Mike Mitchell
Baron 971v
soon to be RV owner...

Back