What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's Fuel Gauges for RV-10

gipsowh

What fuel gauges are 10 builders using in their panels? I just ordered Van's RV-10 gauges and got gauges that only register 24 gallons max. Can these VFL24 gauges be the correct gauges for the 10??

Yep. Van's gauges will read full until the tanks drain down enough for the gauges to start going down.

Fuel gauges

Fuel gauges are nothing more that ohm meters measuring resistance. Few gauges are set to read actuall gallons. In the case of float senders, the float may require altering it's movement. In the case of capicitance senders, proper lenght probe is required, and final adjustment at the sender. Hope this helps.

Yep, what Mikey said. When I asked Vans this same question, they told me because of the wing's dihedral angle, and because the senders are at the lower end of the tank, you'll get quite a bit of air in the wingtip end of the tank before the float starts down. The person I talked to, might have been Gus (its been several months now), said you'll burn about half a tank before their analog gauge comes off the peg. They also suggested if I really need to know what is in the tanks, to use a fuel computer, either stand alone instrument or as part of an engine analyzer. If you look at the pics of the completed and flying aircraft, they are all using engine analyzers. No steam gauges in the engine department. Seems like when I surfed the NTSB reports before commiting to building a Vans, the big killers were the usual suspects: dry tanks and cumulo-granite clouds. I figure the engine analyzer will pay for itself in maintenance costs if it doesn't save my life.

Back