What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spot or APRS(HF)?

Levrie

I've copied the message below from the original thread
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=42519
concerning a transatlantic ferry flight in an RV7A that's still underway.

Perhaps this is the best forum to share these questions?

Please excuse me if this is of no interest

David R

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The ferry pilot (David) is fine and progressing well, despite the errant 'Spot' positions

not updating frequently enough.

This topic raises some interesting questions and your views would be of interest.

Can 'Spot' be used reliably enough in fast moving craft like a/c for reliable feedback?

Pros:

Satellite monitoring of position using GPS.
Messaging facility (see spot message #85 where David says "he's well and all OK"
Small, Portable and relative low cost.
Web enabled monitoring for all to see progress
Emergency locate button
Handheld and great for trekkars.

Cons:

Refresh rate poor up to 20mins in sparse areas. On this occassion 4hrs lack of info!
Poor Web interface, symbols too large and bunch too much a high scales.
Too slow to feed back.
Subscription.
Is it really suitable for a/c at 200mph. with a 10 min update (33 miles).

My question? Is it possible to have a APRS(HF) system for such long flights using HF units

coupled with GPS, as In my opinion, APRS even though not 'quality controlled' beats Spot

hands down. Like the internet is not QC'd but it works by stint of popularity.

Your comments are invited.

David R

Thee have ben quite a few good discussions in the past of the various Tracking/Emergency options. You can probably find some of them by searching the forums for "SPOT", "APRS", and "PLB". All have advatnages and disadvantages.

I personally carry a PLB for emergency notifications, and Louise (my wife) has SPOT, since she commutes to work in her RV-6, and it is an easy way for me to knwo when she's on her way home for dinner!

Paul

I have a SPOT, and really haven't utilized as much as I plan to, yet.

While I agree that APRS is probably a better tool for tracking, it leaves a big gap for emergency response. I've been a HAM for many years, and this is every bit as neat as when the boys in Chicago developed the cell phone concept with their repeaters. But, I have still not installed an APRS unit.

SPOT's 911 function should be comparable to a PLB or 406 ELT in terms of precision. So if you survive the 'event', you may have a chance of being rescued.

If you don't survive, and it takes SAR 10 days to find you, the only ones it affects are family and friends. Pretty subjective call.

I'll probably upgrade to the 406 ELT when move down in price a bit, but more so because they are being required for international travel, or will be in the near future.

I use SPOT

I have no desire at all, to get a ham license and deal with another electronic gaget for the airplane! :)

I've been using SPOT since the end of last summer. We've done a lot of cross country trips with it in the 6A. Even though it's every ten minutes to plot a position; you usually have a course line, that one could follow. I don't see that "33 miles" as much of a problem. And that "911" button could come in awful handy if really needed; since it will initiate a search function right off the bat. All in all, it's been quite consistant in plotting courses for our cross-country flights. Members of my family will follow it quite regularly, when they know we're on a trip. And even if they don't, SPOT will send an E-mail.

L.Adamson -- RV6A

Back