What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

building...but never been in....

truss

hey guys...nice to meet everyone here on this great forum...I am currently an rv 4 builder..have my wings and empanage finished and am starting my fuselage soon...I guess I am building on faith because i have never even sat in or much less flown in an rv...so I guess the point of this thread is to say...if any of you guys are ever in the boise idaho area,drop me a call and let me have the honor of being a passenger in one of your rv's for a hop around the airfield....much appreciated...I can be reached on :) this website or you can call 2089223702....thx all...todd

RV Ride

Todd,

Can you Meet us at Johnson Creek over the 4th of July week?
Several RV ers will be camping there July 3 to 9, 2005
My guess you would have several ride oppertunities. We will be flying out to Big Creek for Breakfast and other places too.

building but never been....

In the much anticipated frustrations of my build that seems to linger on and on, I have been told "you will find comfort in the safe halls of your local EAA chapter" "go and be renewed" so i went....lingering around for 2 hrs at a local chapter meeting i had one person come up and ask what i was building...and that was it...seeing that i had ventured into unsafe waters,I had convinced myself that i was going to have to brave this task all on my own...until i came across this website... once again renewed hope. You guys seemed so nice at first, but low and behold i am starting to feel like i did at the last hour of my EAA meeting...alone and destined to see this build through on my own...without any souls to turn to that have braved these waters and won....oh poor me...... :confused:

Use Dan Checkoway's RV Finder to locate builders near you (I bet there's more than a few). Call them up and chat. I'll bet they'll have you over to look at their projects, chat RVs, and offer to assist you in building yours.

I've found my local EAA chapter a waste of time as well. Just a bunch of older gentlemen wanting to build something, but more interested in just talking. I know a bunch of other chapters that are very active, just not the one close to me.

In the much anticipated frustrations of my build that seems to linger on and on, I have been told "you will find comfort in the safe halls of your local EAA chapter" "go and be renewed" so i went....lingering around for 2 hrs at a local chapter meeting i had one person come up and ask what i was building...and that was it...seeing that i had ventured into unsafe waters,I had convinced myself that i was going to have to brave this task all on my own...until i came across this website... once again renewed hope. You guys seemed so nice at first, but low and behold i am starting to feel like i did at the last hour of my EAA meeting...alone and destined to see this build through on my own...without any souls to turn to that have braved these waters and won....oh poor me...... :confused:
Todd,
Is there another EAA chapter nearby that you could visit? You might find a totally different atmosphere in a different club. I've heard that some chapters have more builders in them than others (which seems a little strange when you consider what the "E" in EAA is supposed to stand for).

I just went to my first meeting with Chapter 268 (Kennessaw, GA) two weeks ago, and was welcomed with open arms. Great bunch of guys, and just about everybody had a project going, including 4 other RV's. I think I'm in good company, and I'm looking forward to being in this group and picking their brains as I build my 8.

My point is, don't let one group sway you. Look around and find a group you like. We are out here.

building....but

You can do it without an active EAA chapter. I have been working on my RV9A for over 2.5 years and have received very little help from my local chapter. There are several builders and ultralight builders in the group, but no metal airplanes that I am aware of. So, I visited web sites, called Vans Tech folks, read and read some more and twisted arms of a retired A&P and a working A&P AI. I am so close to finishing I can almost see it flying. And I am fairly confident that the project is put together pretty well. Not a show champion, but a good, attractive, flyable airplane. Don't forget to go to all the RV flyins that you can reach by auto or rented airplane. It is a great place to pick up tips from a consentration of builders and planes. Take your camera. I am a novice, having never even built a model airplane. Vans has a great package and great support. Take your time, scrounge for info, build it and it will fly. Jack RV9A ...ready (almost) to call the DAR.

You might also consider finding your local EAA Tech Counselor and having him come by and look at you project. Gives you: someone to talk to that has actually built something, an independent look at your project, and might be able to steer you towards other RV builders in the area.

And it's free (for EAA members for sure, don't know about non-members)!

building....

dave...noticed a footnote on yours that says finish kit...are you in the process of finish...if so what parts in this kit differ from doing a few of the rocket things..such as canopy and turtledeck...yes we have signed up for the national EAA but the local one here has me discouraged....will try to find my local eaa tech guy....
build9a...good ideas on your side..but as you say...get the info for yourself...I am an accomplished mechanic and shop "dude" but building a plane is a little unsettling when you consider one little mistake could cost you your life.....
michael...there is one about 60 miles away from me...might try them...
f1 rocket...educate me in the ways of the "making your plane look like a rocket" should have asked you the question that I asked david....the only few rv's i know around here are finished ones..but thus the reason for this thread in the first place..building one but never ridden in one...they just don't have the time or???? :cool:

truss said:
f1 rocket...educate me in the ways of the "making your plane look like a rocket" should have asked you the question that I asked david....the only few rv's i know around here are finished ones..but thus the reason for this thread in the first place..building one but never ridden in one...they just don't have the time or???? :cool:
The Rocket, expecially the F1 Rocket, is a completely different airframe and airplane. I can't speak to the Harmon because I don't know much about it. The F1 is longer and wider than a RV-4 fuselage, the wings are slightly shorter, and the nose is a lot longer. If you went to the trouble of trying to "look" like a Rocket, you'd actually "be" a Rocket.

rocket...

f1rocket said:
The Rocket, expecially the F1 Rocket, is a completely different airframe and airplane. I can't speak to the Harmon because I don't know much about it. The F1 is longer and wider than a RV-4 fuselage, the wings are slightly shorter, and the nose is a lot longer. If you went to the trouble of trying to "look" like a Rocket, you'd actually "be" a Rocket.
I have heard that the turtledeck and canopy can be somewhat easily converted to the rv4.... :cool:

That would be the Harmon Rocket, which uses a converted RV-4 fuselage and wings. You'll need to contact John Harmon directly for those. I've heard that other guys have done this as well.

rocket....

i think i am getting the two confused...what is the difference between the f1 and the harmon???? :cool:

Found you a ride!

truss said:
hey guys...nice to meet everyone here on this great forum...I am currently an rv 4 builder..have my wings and empanage finished and am starting my fuselage soon...I guess I am building on faith because i have never even sat in or much less flown in an rv...so I guess the point of this thread is to say...if any of you guys are ever in the boise idaho area,drop me a call and let me have the honor of being a passenger in one of your rv's for a hop around the airfield....much appreciated...I can be reached on :) this website or you can call 2089223702....thx all...todd

I'll ask my friend Ed Bundy, who flies an RV-6A out of Caldwell (EUD), give you a call Todd! He'd be glad to get you a ride! Rosie

ride...

thx rosie for the info and plug...much appreciated...f1 rocket...wow!!!there was alot of info there...seems like the rocket and rv are more closely related than i thought....and it is possible to convert some stuff over...just need to break it down and figure what i need....

found a ride...

Rosie said:
I'll ask my friend Ed Bundy, who flies an RV-6A out of Caldwell (EUD), give you a call Todd! He'd be glad to get you a ride! Rosie

rosie...any word from mr bundy on that ride....thx for your help....todd :cool:

Back