What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Planning a summer trip to UT and CO.

kentb

Well Known Member
I (ok We, since my Wife is going) plan to arrive in the Salt Lake area around noon on July 5th. I'll leave the next day for Durango, CO.

The question: what should I do for 1/2 a day? Which airport would be best to use? Any recommendation on food. I like Indian or something spicy.

We will stay in the Durango area for a few days and then head over to UT to checkout Bryce and Zion Canyon. Two days there and then home.

Any suggestions for places to stay, eat, see in UT?

Kent

Things in SLC

If you land at Ogden airport (north of SLC) there is a nice air museum at Hill Airforce base about 5 miles away.

If you want to land in Bountiul (about 5 miles north SLC class B) you can eat at the Red Iquana mexican restaurant.

Salt Lake #2 is also a good airport to land at.

For things to do in SLC. I am not a Mormon, but thoroughly enjoyed touring their visitor center in downtown SLC. Also if Kenicott Copper Mine is great to see, it is the largest open pit copper mine in the world.

Have fun, I lived in Utah for 7 years, truly beautiful country to fly in, be careful as you cross the mountains if you see lenticular clouds over the tops, don't go.

Steve

Steve

Salt Lake #2 is also a good airport to land at.

After all these years; someone had the idea of changing the airport name.
It's now called South Valley Regional (U42). Personally, I was fine with Airport #2!

However, it's a nice wide runway to land on; has rental cars, good hotels, theaters, and restaurants right next door at Jordan Landing. In fact, there was two visiting RV's I'd never seen before...... just yesterday. :)

P.S. --- If you can travel a bit farther to Lake Powell, and even the Canyonland area of Moab, it's certainly worth it!

L.Adamson -- RV6A

Last edited:
too many things, too little time

A half day isn't much time for tourist stuff but if you land at Ogden (KOGD), you have your choice of 3 on-field restaurants ranging from greasy spoon to fine dining. Ogden is the only airport in Utah with on-site restaurants. Kinda makes it tough for us locals to fly out for the $100 burger.
As mentioned in an earlier post, the air museum at Hill AFB is outstanding and you can't beat the price of admission. Also nearby in downtown Ogden is the Union Station housing the Browning Arms museum, car collection and train museum. Historic 25th (2 bit) street has many shops and restaurants.
If you like cars and cycles, the Larry H. Miller Motorsports Park is just 35 miles west of SLC. There's always an event happening on the race track. You'll need car to drive there.
I'm planning to fly up to West Yellowstone for the Fourth. Nice on-field camping, fireworks, the park, etc.

Steve

Royal India

If you decide to land at #2 (U42) there is a great indian restaurant in Sandy called Royal India, Zagat rated and you may see the Governor there.
Other airports in the area include Skypark where Scott Schmidt and many other experimental and RV guys are located.

Now we are talking....

If you decide to land at #2 (U42) there is a great indian restaurant in Sandy called Royal India, Zagat rated and you may see the Governor there.
Other airports in the area include Skypark where Scott Schmidt and many other experimental and RV guys are located.

Thanks everyone for the input, I am sure that it will make my trip better.

Kent

Durango

Kent, Just north of the town of Durango there is a sailport ( you can see it on the East side of the road). We had a good time taking a sailplane ride. When I told the pilot I was a GA pilot, he gave me the stick and said it's yours. We had no one waiting on the ground so the ride lasted a little over an hour...fun times.
Dan B

Thanks...

You guys have come up with some great stuff for me to enjoy, but my wife is not some much into aviation.
I was looking for things to see/do that is more on the sedate side of life. She is currently recovering from foot surgery and hopefully be back to 100% by this time. If so we would be into some short hikes, commune with nature kind of thing. Otherwise checkout the scenery from the car, or visit museums.

Kent

You guys have come up with some great stuff for me to enjoy, but my wife is not some much into aviation.
I was looking for things to see/do that is more on the sedate side of life. She is currently recovering from foot surgery and hopefully be back to 100% by this time. If so we would be into some short hikes, commune with nature kind of thing. Otherwise checkout the scenery from the car, or visit museums.

Kent

Kent,

If you do go to the Durango area, consider the steam engine train ride to Silverton. The wife and kids really enjoyed it. The scenery is breathtaking. There are also Jeep trails and rentals is the area. The Silverton to Lake City Trail is famous and fun.

I am considering a trip to Canyonlands / Moab / Sante Fe area myself, perhaps this fall?

Joe, that is why we picked Durango.

Kent,

If you do go to the Durango area, consider the steam engine train ride to Silverton. The wife and kids really enjoyed it. The scenery is breathtaking. There are also Jeep trails and rentals is the area. The Silverton to Lake City Trail is famous and fun.

I am considering a trip to Canyonlands / Moab / Sante Fe area myself, perhaps this fall?

Got the train ride on my list. While we are in the area we are also planning also doing the Combres and Toltec train ride. I'll look into the Silverton to Lake City Trail. Thanks, Kent

Last edited:
You guys are going to have a blast. Downtown Durango has a lot of neat shops and big time mining history. I used to elk hunt in the area. There may be some short hikes to some old mines that your wife would enjoy. The terrain I used to hunt in was very rugged, though. There are some beautiful wild flower fields in the area. One of them is up by Engineer peak, North of Purgatory Ski area. Ask around at some of the outfitter shops or the traveler information places. Oh yeah, the train will drop off and pick up hikers, or at least they used to?

I'm looking forward to your trip report.

Utah

Gouldings would be a fun place to visit.
They would have all kinds of Indian jewelry and rugs.

Bryce is nice! You can stay at Ruby's Inn which is one mile away from airport.

Page is fun. You can take a boat tour to Rainbow Bridge or see the dam.

Moab is always fun but the airport is 17 miles from the town. I don't know who ever shut down the airport in town but when I am Governor that will be my first order of duty. You can rent a Jeep and do some fun drives or float Cayaract Canyon. It is a one day float that is 100 miles long and they fly you back to Moab when you are done. It is about $500 per person.
http://www.utah.com/raft/rivers/cataract.htm

You can land at Heber, rent a car and explore Park City and Sundance.

If you like to fish, head over to Dutch John UT and do a 1/2 day fly fishing trip. It will be one of the best trips ever. This is one of Tiger Woods favorite trips.

You have all the recommendations for Ogden which has my favorite restaurant on the field.

You can gamble at Jackpot or Wendover. Wendover has some neat history at the airport.

Durango is fun and you will love the train ride.

Sedona AZ is close. Take a Pink Jeep ride and tons of shopping.

If you are near Page, AZ you should make a stop at Marble Canyon.

Feel free to drop by Skypark (KBTF) if you have a second and let me know. I'll try to meet you there. It is also easy to fly into SLC International and go to MillionAir. They really take care of you.

There are some great books you should buy before flying near Bryce, Gouldings and Moab if you like the history of the old west.
Here is a link to some information including some of the stuff they do at Ruby's Inn.
http://www.utah.com/oldwest/

Good luck and have a safe trip. Let me know if I can help in any way or if you need any assistance during your trip.

Back