What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I file IFR to...

fehdxl

Well Known Member
... an airport that does not have an instrument approach? What if the weather is CAVU? 3000/3? 2000/2? 500/1?

CFR 91.169 says I need an alternate unless the weather is better than 2000/3 for +/- 1 hour. Later in that section it describes the minimum weather for the alternate; but no where can I find the minimums to file to an airpot...or if that airport even needs to have an instrument approach.

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

-Jim

Kinda..

You can't file to an airport without a published approach since there is no way to get there on an IFR clearance. But, in your example, you can file to a "point in space," that is, a nearby navaid or waypoint. Obviously you have to cancel IFR at that point and continue in VMC conditions. Conversely, you can file from a point and continue IFR.

John Clark ATP, CFI
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Or....

Or, file to an airport near your destination that does have an instrument approach. Once you get close, (assuming you're in VMC) cancel IFR and continue VFR.

I have taken many IFR clearances to a destination with no approach, which includes fixes, airports, and other such locations.
I know of no requirement that your destination, or in this case, last fix on your route that happens to be an airport, actually have an approach.

You will have to cancel below MEA to continue.

File IFR to anywhere...

You can file to your destination airport, and make a visual approach when you have the airport in sight. You can cancel IFR any time you are, and can remain in, VMC. You don't have to be below MEA to cancel, but ATC will request that you fly the appropriate VFR cruising altitude if appropriate.

If you are IMC enroute, you'll need some way to transition to VMC to continue VFR to your destination. How to do that depends on the weather. The 'worst case' is when the weather is below 1000/3, but below 700' or 1200' (depending on the overlying airspace) you have 1 mile and can remain clear of clouds. In order to get there, you'll have to shoot an approach to a nearby airport, and once you are in Uncontrolled airspace and have at least 1 mile clear of clouds conditions, you can cancel IFR and proceed. If the controlled airspace around the airport with the approach goes to the ground, you'll need to coordinate with ATC of course, because technically you'd need a special VFR clearance (and if they ask 'what are your intentions' - you have to request SVFR) . Then you have to remain below 700 or 1200 and scud run to your destination.

There is nothing in FAR 91.153 or 91.169 that says you can't file IFR to an airport that doesn't have an approach. In this situation, you must file an alternate airport unless your original destination has:

1. From one hour before to one hour after your ETA, forecast ceilings of at least 2000' AGL and 3 miles visibility

2. A published instrument approach procedure.

Since your proposed airport doesn't have an instrument approach, all you are required to do is file an alternate. Otherwise you're fine to go (and in case you're curious, I've asked our local FSDO this exact question and this was the answer I was given.)

Back