What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trutrak wiring

N13BN

Well Known Member
After the Trutrak servo is mounted in the wing, there is not enough clearance above it to insert the connector plug. Only about 1 1/4" from the top of the plug to the top wing skin.

Trutrak Tech support suggesting removing the plastic housing from the plug and bending the wires to clear the skin.
Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Bill Newkirk

I had to unbolt the servo to properly tighten the connector screws. Re-install the bolts and safety wire.

I couldn't get my hand in there nor could I see to tighten the $%@&@#%$ screws. After numerous cuss words, I did what I said above. Took all of 15 minutes total then. Should have done it in the first place.

This might help you get the connector on.

Remove the shell as suggested and bend the wires 90 degrees about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the pins and anchor the cable down securely near the plug. The wires then will not vibrate and break off.

Remove the shell as suggested and bend the wires 90 degrees about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the pins and anchor the cable down securely near the plug. The wires then will not vibrate and break off.

I agree. You could even "pot" the wires where they exit the back of the connector with red RTV, which you can also use to stabilize the wires if you can't find a place to put a clamp on them very near the connector. The RTV potting is removable if needed, but is very secure. If you were *really* sure you never needed to mess with the connector pins after assembly, you could pot the back if the connector with GOOP shoe goo.

Yep, take the shell off just as the others have suggested. That is exactly what I did with mine, it's working fine.

Use an inspection mirror and a flashlight to check it at each annual for any abrasion etc.

Last edited:
I agree. You could even "pot" the wires where they exit the back of the connector with red RTV, which you can also use to stabilize the wires if you can't find a place to put a clamp on them very near the connector. The RTV potting is removable if needed, but is very secure. If you were *really* sure you never needed to mess with the connector pins after assembly, you could pot the back if the connector with GOOP shoe goo.

Scott, some Red RTV contains acetic acid (smells like vinegar) and will corrode electrical wiring. The "sensor safe" stuff is fine. I've had trouble with this a couple of times in the last 25 years or so, including having to recall battery packs sealed with non-compliant RTV.

Not all RTV is the same, and the GOOP is more foolproof. Neither should be required, though if the wires are tie-wrapped or laced for strain-relief.

It's also possible to buy 90 degree or 45 degree backshells, if desired.

Vern

Scott, some Red RTV contains acetic acid (smells like vinegar) and will corrode electrical wiring. The "sensor safe" stuff is fine. I've had trouble with this a couple of times in the last 25 years or so, including having to recall battery packs sealed with non-compliant RTV.

Not all RTV is the same, and the GOOP is more foolproof. Neither should be required, though if the wires are tie-wrapped or laced for strain-relief.

It's also possible to buy 90 degree or 45 degree backshells, if desired.

Vern

Good tip. Thanks for the heads up.

Back