What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Final Final weldment update

Roger Moore

I have recieved replys to prior update and I need to elaborate. The weldments are the upper engine mount weldments and they were prior to 1988 redesign of the entire unit. The pre 1988 units are very flimsy and inadequate in design as is indicated but the 1988 redesign. One builder I have discussed this with said he noticed the inadequacy on his inital build and completely reengineered the parts on his build up. Again the breakage was not caused by rough landings or flying outside Van's prescribed envelope. Roger Moore

I have heard of two people who had problems-- actually all the early 4's had engine weldments that need replacing.

One guy who built his back then, said the mounts looked flimsy but was told everyone was using them-- a year later everyone was having problems.

One guy had a bad shake and when he loosened the bolts the pieces just fell off in several pieces. Just fragmented completely.

I heard something about the first iteration they just rolled and bent over the metal but on the later mod they butt welded everything-- but you would know.

that's what I heard.

Back