What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WTB: Airpark lot

mkmuch

Evening...

My wife and I are starting to look at various airparks from Austin south... She prefers as close to the warm water as possible (Brownsville). From looking around at various airpark sites - seems like there is a lot to choose from in and around Austin (great town - but not close to Ocean) and San Antonio (closer) but can seem to find much in Corpus Christi or Brownsville.

Lots of Texas Natives here - Any advice on nice airparks (any names and info - I can search the web from there).

Ideally we want a private strip (no public land issues or rights of ways problems) paved 2500+ ft - great local EAA chapter with a strong RV or experimental / warbird contingent?

Anyway - thanks for the point in the right direction.

South Texas

Mike,
I?m sorry, but you?re not going to find much in Corpus or Brownsville.

I live in McAllen which is an hour from Brownsville and I used to live in Kingsville, about 45 minutes from Corpus. I don't know of any airparks in the area with the exception of 79TE, Arrowhead near Lake Corpus Christi/Mathis. It's a very small community and the runway isn?t paved.

As far as EAA chapters, I never went to the one in Corpus, so I can?t comment. I?m a member of the Rio Grande Valley chapter, and that includes McAllen, Harlingen, Brownsville and everywhere in between. During the summer months, we get maybe 10 members at our meetings. Winter months membership triples. Most members are retired and winter Texans. At 34, I might be the youngest member. Not much RV activity in the chapter.

San Antonio has some great airparks. Try Kestrel, 1T7, just to the north/northwest of San Antonio. Paul Dye owns a lot there. Also there is 8T8San Geronimo airpark. It is west of San Antonio, between San Antonio and Castroville. If your retired military, San Antonio has several bases for your healthcare and other needs.

Anything else, let me know, I?ll try to help.
Phil

Back