What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thinking about having a wings and wheels gathering, can you give me some pointers?

AX-O

Well Known Member
All,
I would like to have a wings and wheels gathering in Inyokern, CA. http://www.inyokernairport.com/ Basically the local car club brings their cars and aircraft fly into IYK. We just started an EAA chapter and our beautiful airport is in need of air traffic. If you have planned a gathering, fly-in or any event involving aviation, can you please give me some pointers? The tentative date is May 9th. That seems not to interfere with SoCal airshows. Thanks for any guidance in advance.

BTW, if this happens, I would love to have as many RVs as possible. You know, bragging rights. A lot of canard types on the field :D

come up with some friendly awards for everyone (bent rivet award, best paint, furthest flown, loudest car, etc. Have some local BBQ food, cold drinks, find some affordable local music...promote the event at at the local speed shops and auto parts places, get in touch with the motorcycle shops, they're all gearheads and know the showcar guys too, go tothe car dealerships and have them bring a fancy car or two...put out lots of placards at FBO's, print 'em and have your friends promise to post them. Call and email every FBO nearby and let them know, email them a fly and get them to post it...and good luck. Call any nearby Coast Guard units, get them to come by with a helo, promote it in the paper and on local radio...and get started now.

Have fun

Do it and they will come...

AX-O,
I've done several airplane related gatherings and a bunch of car events. My advice is to not over think it. That is, keep it simple. Get the word out, arrange some food, and stand back. The airplanes and cars are the draw, no need to get carried away with entertainment and the like.

And yes, I'll be there. I used to fly scheduled service into Icky but haven't been there for many years.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Back