What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Converting IO-360 to Carb?

Vongrube

I'm New Here
Good afternoon gents,
I have a question. Does anyone have any experience with using a conventional Carb (Marvel Schebler) in place of FI system already on the IO-360 engine? Would it work? What modifications would there have to be? Anyone know of someone who has done this before?
My application will not need the FI OR a C/S prop installed.
And before anyone says "buy another engine", let me say simply that its the only engine I have or can afford now. At present I have the Bendix carb, and thats about it for the FI system.

Carb will probably cost more than getting the rest of the FI bits. But if you insist, what IO-360?

A friend of mine has a Smith Cub set up that way. IO-360 angle valve with a carb. So yes, certainly you can get it set up that way. No hot start problems... If I recall he put a normal O-360 sump on it and had to modify the induction tubes to fit.

If it is a vertical induction parallel valve engine all you need do is remove the FI system in it's entirety. Install pipe plugs in the nozzle holes at the cylinder heads. Install a low-pressure engine driven pump and the carb. If it is a parallel valve horizontal induction engine you will need a different induction system/ sump or a side draft HA-6 carb with some homemade adapters to mount it. If an angle valve 360 there is no stock angle valve carbureted engine to go buy. So, you will likely face the same issues as the horizontal induction parallel valve engine, or have to replace the sump and self engineer some intake pipes to fit the angle valve cylinder heads. The HA-6 carb and the MA4-5 carb are both set up for 180 HP so you might have to fiddle with them to get adequate fuel for 200 HP angle valve engine. Never ran a 200HP angled valve engine carbureted but I can't see why it wouldn't work if you can get enough fuel through the carb.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Mahlon,

Couldn't he use a Ellison Throttle Body Injector for his carb? It should not matter if it is bolted on horizontally or vertically, as I understand it.

Yes, I guess he could, if he wanted to go that way. Especially, if he were going horizontal induction route, it would solve the adapter issues for mounting it and also be able to supply fuel for the 200 HP version, if that is what he has for an engine.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Finding an adequate carb shouldn't be a problem. Continental uses the MA-4-5 for the 230HP o-470, so if the 180hp doesn't flow enough, you could probably step it up to that dash model. They actually even have one i've seen on a 300HP modified IO-550... :D

You guys are awesome! Thanks so much. I have an IO-360 A1A. I also have a standard O-360 sump with pipes, and definitely see that I would have to modify the pipes to fit. I also have an old Bendix pressure carb, that Im not planning on using on this engine, so I was planning on buying a MA-4-5 carb anyway if it will work. Essentially I would have to start from scratch and purchase everything to run it as FI, including a IO-360 sump, and pipes. Thats why the question on this carb conversion idea.
I appreciate any and all responses to my question because Im into a gray area here. I called Lycoming and they clammed right up. Liability issues I suppose.

Back