What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Convert XP 0-360 to fuel injection

Gene,
Bear in mind that you'll be able to recoup about $1,000 by selling your brand new carburetor, plus several hundred dollars selling your mechanical fuel pump.
Charlie Kuss

I've done an "O" to "IO" conversion twice, both using Bendix parts. Its not hard to do. Basically, you'll need to obtain the following:

1) Throttle body / fuel servo
2) Flow divider ("spider")
3) Fuel injection nozzle assemblies (4)
4) Fuel delivery lines (4)
5) Some way to adapt the throttle body to the sump. This may involve a different sump all together.

I don't know about doing the AFP system, but its reported to be very good. Should involve similar parts.

BTW - if you need the fuel delivery lines, I have enough stock to do about 8-9 airplanes. Lycoming sells them for $100 each and they're a "one size fits all" length. I make them up in my shop, to your exact lengths, at half the cost.

Bill

Also remember to change the the high pressure fuel pump from an LW-15472 to an LW-15473.

And a pressure by-pass regulator, the high pressure pumps are not internally pressure regulated. That also means of by-pass fuel line either back to a tank or a loop back to the intake line. Plus there should be a big filter ahead of the electric pump.

By Pass and pressure regulator posting

I'm not sure what type of fuel injection system you are talking about, but it isn't a Bendix. Perhaps an AFP? A Bendix unit does not use a return line or a pressure regulator. Also a Bendix unit idle characteristics seem to be more able to give a smoother idle without cracking and poping noises.

Back