What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric Starter for O-290

woodyweaver

I'm New Here
I just bought an RV3 with no starter. I want to add one. I think I have it figured out except for the flywheel. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.
Woody

Adding an electric starter

I just bought an RV3 with no starter. I want to add one. I think I have it figured out except for the flywheel. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.
Woody

Here's what I found:
My January 1988 0-290-D Series Lycoming parts catalog PC-102-1 shows the original starter for the O-290's as a 12 volt, no reduction, 10/12 pitch pinion (MZ-4204), Lycoming part #76210.

The book lists two starter ring gears 10/12 and 12/14 pitch which are 122 and 149 toothed rings. I would count the ring gear teeth just to make sure which you have.

Depending which ring gear you have, you can use a starter such as the Sky-Tec 122-12PM or 149-12PM model. You can recheck with the Sky-Tec Flyweight? Starters Aircraft Fit Guide here: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/Fit_Guide.pdf

The 122-12PM is what we replaced the original starter (and now the new boat anchor) on our O-290. Half the weight and twice the spin. No problems yet.

Last edited:
Simple, just order a Sky-Tec Flyweight starter, making sure you get one with the correct number of teeth.

It will bolt right on your O-290, w/ no issues. This assumes your O-290 is not a former GPU, I'm not sure if it will work with one of those.

BTW, you can change the tooth ring on your fly-wheel if needed. My starter ring had 122 teeth so that's what I ordered.

GPU starter

Simple, just order a Sky-Tec Flyweight starter, making sure you get one with the correct number of teeth.

It will bolt right on your O-290, w/ no issues. This assumes your O-290 is not a former GPU, I'm not sure if it will work with one of those.

BTW, you can change the tooth ring on your fly-wheel if needed. My starter ring had 122 teeth so that's what I ordered.

I have an O-290-G and the starter location is the same. It's at the lower left under cylinder #2 as seen in this -D parts book.

Last edited:
Back