What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AirFlow Performance Tuning, and Kennon cover for RV-10

vic syracuse

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Mentor
I just thought I would share an experience I had today. I have the IO-540 with the Airflow Performance System in my RV-10. Now that I have 170 hours on it, I decided it was broken in enough to let Don and his team perform their magic tuning on it. What a great experience. Don's team is first class, and his shop is eat-off-of-the-floor clean! But the great thing is the results. I burned 2 gallons per hour less fuel on the way home at the same power settings (24 squared). We made 4 flights today to gather data, and changed the injectors to match each cylinder so they peaked at the same time. It really smoothed out what I thought was already a smooth engine! Idle is 100 rpm lower. Keep in mind that the low inertia of the MT prop makes idling slow a challenge. We now have it down to 750 rpms. I would highly recommend this to anyone with the Airflow Performance setup. At the price of fuel, 2gph pays for itself really quickly.
Also, I've been meaning to mention that we finally got our cover for the RV-10 from Kennon. We made them a pattern, so they now have the pattern for the RV-10. It was $225.
Vic

Vic:

Can you post a picture of your Canopy cover on your RV-10?

Russ Daves
#40044 - Fuselage on main gear
RV-10 w/ IO-540 and MT Prop

Fuel injection

Do any of you know of anybody making electronic fuel injection for aircraft engines?

We are now trusting our flying to electronics more and more every day---------Ingition systems, Flight instruments, Nav instruments etc.

It seems that the benifits of computer controled EFI would be worth bringing into the avaition world.

Mike

Mike S said:
Do any of you know of anybody making electronic fuel injection for aircraft engines?

We are now trusting our flying to electronics more and more every day---------Ingition systems, Flight instruments, Nav instruments etc.

It seems that the benifits of computer controled EFI would be worth bringing into the avaition world.

Mike

Mike,
For experimental aircraft only you can get a complete Engine Management System, or just an injection from Simple Digital Systems. One of the principal SDS guys monitors this forum. I don't work for them, but I do know someone who is running one of their systems an is very pleased with the results. They are one of our friends north of the the border. Everyone I have talked to thinks they are straight shooters and likes the system. (Too bad for me they don't make a system for my 20B rotary!) The link is WWW.SDSEFI.com check them out.

Bill Jepson
Rotary10-RV

Last edited:
Air Flow perf. rules!

Just another opinion, AFP is an awsome company who will not let you be unhappy in any way. Kind of on the same lines as GRT.
They are very smart people and stand by all products 100%. This is based on my experience with them on my unit and from many others I have spoken to.
Glen

Efi

I am not trying to say anything bad/distracting about AFP as either a company, or the people who run it. Dont know anything about them. I am trying to find out any information about more modern fuel management systems. Thanks for the link, Bill.

I think that with a properly designed comp program, and hardware, the actions that Vic took four flights and an unknown number of injector changes, could be happening many times per second, contimously, and without any effort from the pilot, and provide even better performance, and economy than any mechanical system, no mater how much it is optomised.

Mechinical fuel injection is old technology, same a magnetios and steam gagues.Its only redeeming quality (IMHO) is that it is pretty much fail safe, although most EFI systems (automotive, that is) have a "limp home" default mode.

Mike

Fuel Savings

Vic,

That's great to hear that you are burning less. The burns you were getting before seemed a little higher than ours. Now you have a 1,200SM airplane with your extended tanks, right?

Jesse said:
Vic,

That's great to hear that you are burning less. The burns you were getting before seemed a little higher than ours. Now you have a 1,200SM airplane with your extended tanks, right?
Hi Jesse. I think 1200 is a stretch. I think max time would be 5.3 hours with the 74 total gallons, and at 191-195 mph, it's about 1000 miles, no winds, and tanks dry. I'm one of those guys who always hauls around too much fuel. Anything less than 1 hour in the tanks when landing, and I am really uncomfortable. Three and half to 4 hours is about max, but that is a lot of territory covered, and is certainly faster than the airlines on legs of those lengths.

Vic

Back