What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar space near Bellingham, WA?

goflynRV7

Hey Northwest RV'ers,

Got my RV7A wings, fuselage, and emp parts all moved to storage in Bellingham, WA from Colorado about a week ago....10/25/05. All parts appear to have made the trip not much worse for it, thankfully.

Thought I'd post again to see if someone near Bellingham would have any ideas about hanger or shop space for rent. I've looked at the website for Paine Field in Everett. Might be some options there. I don't know about Arlington yet. Have a copy of the GANews to see what is advertised. Even off airport would work for me during building. Need to check into Bellingham Airport as well.

I am living in Ketchikan, AK and would take weekend trips or vacation time to at least keep working on the project. So far have not found space up north here. Lots of float planes flying around...but no instruction happening. Would have liked to get a float rating if I must live in rain country.... :)

Click here to see project website

Tailwinds!
(sryon AT kpunet.net)

Steve--

Not sure if you're familiar with the lower NW, but Paine field would be a long haul from Bellingham (if that's where you'd be living). Also, in general, PAE is pretty expensive for most things, in relative terms. That said, I'm not sure what would be available farther north--Skagit Valley might be a possibility for you. It is closer to Bellingham than either PAE or ARL. Lots of building going on at ARL though for support. Sorry I dont' have more specific help. I'm on the VFR side of the mountains.

Good luck.

I think there's an EAA chapter up in Bellingham. You might try contacting them.

You sure there isn't a corner of a warehouse you can use up there in Ketchican? You'd get a lot more completed with the project nearby.

Steve,

I would look at Arlington, as they have a ton of hangers. That being said, it is a pretty active GA community and there may not be anything.

Skagit might also be a good choice, as I have done a lot of flying near there but never at that specific airport.

As a last chance, you could also look at Oak Harbor Airpark on Whidbey Island. Again, not sure of hanger availability.

Worst case, work out of a storage unit with power. It has been done before and almost what I had to do when I moved here.

Take care,

Jim

Some assorted wild ideas

You may want to consider a storage unit as a shop? They would have to be cool with you working there and you would need some power, but most units have some power? Having lived in the NW I can tell you it does not get real cold but working in any cold damp unheated shop or hanger will be a little uncomfortable.

Another option is to rent a house large enough to build in. Many builders have used their living room to build. Of course access to moving a finished fuselage will be an issue. Glass sliding doors come out easy enough for large egress. Even a few have tried it in apartments, but noise from pounding rivets will be an issue. I don't know how that worked out but it has been tried.

Be creative. I would consider heated space to work, close to home. I also agree PAE is too far. You would be better off trying Arlington KAWO or KBVS Burlington/Mount Vernon , Skagit Regional Airport. Check out RV-8.com and e-mail Randy. I think he lives up there near the Hinterland?s. If you want a break on builder Vancouver is a great week end trip and close to you. Nice town and good food. The best Pizza I ever had was there, and I fly out of NY. Victoria is also cool. It is like going back to England. Again you are so close you can make day trips of them.

George

Last edited:
Back