What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Austin

petehowell

Well Known Member
The boy wants to visit Austin to check out UT for college. What is the best GA friendly airport to plan for. We have relatives in the area for transportation.

Thanks!

The boy wants to visit Austin to check out UT for college. What is the best GA friendly airport to plan for. We have relatives in the area for transportation.

Thanks!

Pete:

There are several. I recommend Lockhart, TX. 50R because I used to live there and still visit relatives there often. Several RV's there including the Famous Plane Talk Hangar where Ted and Phil preside. (Legends in their own time I might add). The FBO will probably give you a good rate for the big hangar. Just say to Cheryl that Mannan suggested that you might get a good hangar rate.:p Enterprise car rental available. Check the Airnav website.

It's about 30 mi South of UT.

Georgetown where Life of Reilly and Scot Card hangar their planes is about the same dist. North.

(I bleed burnt orange btw;)) I crammed 4 years of college into 35. UT Austin 95:D

770-519-4999

Lakeway or Birdsnest

There's Lakeway on the west side of town as well. It's a lot closer, no freeway to hassle with. No overnight hangars, but tiedowns are available - last I checked, they were $5 (?) a nite. No operations after sunset and before sunrise tho - the local constabulary enforce that with a vengance. Fuel is avaiable, and restrooms - that be about it.

On the East side, there's the new up and coming Birdsnest - aka Travis County Field. Again, very close to downtown. They just repaved their main runway and are in process of buidling a second. New FBO buildings and amenities. http://www.airnav.com/airport/6R4/BIRDS_NEST#c - they are hoping to be *the* central TX destination airport.

But if it's RV comradery you're after, Lockhart beats em both. Good BBQ close by as well.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys!

Our family is in SW Austin, so San Marcos or Lockhart is the best choice for us. Lockhart seems to have the best RV "flavor".

I can't thank you all enough for the replies here and private messages with advice and offers of assistance.

When the WX in the upper midwest improves, we will be heading south!

fyi. Birds Nest is currently closed.
There's Lakeway on the west side of town as well. It's a lot closer, no freeway to hassle with. No overnight hangars, but tiedowns are available - last I checked, they were $5 (?) a nite. No operations after sunset and before sunrise tho - the local constabulary enforce that with a vengance. Fuel is avaiable, and restrooms - that be about it.

On the East side, there's the new up and coming Birdsnest - aka Travis County Field. Again, very close to downtown. They just repaved their main runway and are in process of buidling a second. New FBO buildings and amenities. http://www.airnav.com/airport/6R4/BIRDS_NEST#c - they are hoping to be *the* central TX destination airport.

But if it's RV comradery you're after, Lockhart beats em both. Good BBQ close by as well.

I used to park 'my' OV-10 at Bergstrom AFB and got first class service! Gas was very cheap. Lots of ramp space and free hangars.Good bombing ranges at Camp Swift and Beeville. Unlimited supply of rockets, bullets and BDUs. Convenient to the Shiloh/Cherry Creek area where I lived. Everything a pilot could want! Kept the 1939 Luscombe at Birds nest.

Last edited:
Hook Em'

Good choice of schools, btw.

From a family full of Longhorns (including a current Soph there now) dating back to class of 1897!

Pete,

If you have time (and my schedule permits) I'd love to see your aircraft if you fly in to San Marcos.

512-878-9651

I plan to fly to Austin this weekend so I called Birds Nest today. They are open, but have a displaced threshold. 1570 ft. usable runway. No problem for my RV-4.

Gerald

Ah, very good to hear. They had a notam out for quite some time that it was closed. Now the notam just says "Runway 16/34 N 1220 Closed".

Back