What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT/EIS question

Hwood

Well Known Member
Knee deep in wires at the moment and had a few questions for anyone running the Grand Rapids EIS.
1) What are you running on the aux inputs?
2) What is a good way to mount the manifold pressure 'transducer' thing? I was thinking of Gorrilla glue at this point, but wide open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Hwood

GRT EIS aux inputs

Hwood said:
Knee deep in wires at the moment and had a few questions for anyone running the Grand Rapids EIS.
1) What are you running on the aux inputs?
2) What is a good way to mount the manifold pressure 'transducer' thing? I was thinking of Gorrilla glue at this point, but wide open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Hwood

Aux inputs: manifold pressure(signal from electronic ignition), fuel pressure, ammeter(between alternator and battery), tachometer(from electronic ignition). Kinda wish I had carb temp because... inquiring minds want to know.

Can't help with the mp transducer thing.

Aux inputs similar to redbeardmark, but I went for the carb temp and not the ammeter. Manifold press box is a problem, I secured it onto the ribs under the forward fuselage deck (in a 6) with some tie wraps - not very elegant solution, but it has worked for a year. If I were to do it again on an airplane was did not have the front fuse skins on I think I would rivet in a couple of inches of stiffener angle at each end of the box, then drill a couple of holes each side to wrap a tie wrap around. If you use glue it will a real problem to get out if it ever croaks.

Pete

I intend to put all electrical monitoring on analog gauges of some sort (idiot lights, needle gauges, whatever I think is appropriate 2 years from now when I start wiring). The reason is this:

If I'm flying along, and suddenly my glass panel goes dead, I don't want to go into a debugging mode trying to figure out what the heck just happened. I want to be able to take a quick glance at a gauge and see "Oh crap...my primary bus is dead". *Flick*...over to the other bus, and deal with when I get home. Or even better, "Oh crap, my GRT is dead". Oh well....continue on to my destination and deal with it when I get home. Either way, it lets me immediately take the appropriate action (switch busses, or just ignore it) without having to think about it AND gets me to my destination no sweat.

my $.02

My Setup

I have a Dual-screen EFIS and the EIS. The EIS is mounted down low by the fuel selector in my -8, and I have yet to look at it in flight, since all the data is shipped up to the EFIS. SInce the EFIS MDU's each get the data from the EIS independently, and each MDU is powered by three different sources, I am not at all worried about losing everything at once - it would have to be a pretty bad electrical day for that.

My EIS Aux channels are for fuel Pressure, Fuel gauges (left and right), Manifold Pressure, and Amps. I used the Amps because I am used to having an ammeter, but quite frankly, if you have voltage displayed for each bus, you pretty much know the health of the electrical system without it.

I mounted the MAP box with a short section of Z-bracket on each end, mounted to the sensor box using the screws that hold the cover on, and then mounted behnd the panel (on the backside of the forward baggage compartment) on the -8. So far, everything has worked perfectly!

Paul

What a good idea

Ironflight said:
I mounted the MAP box with a short section of Z-bracket on each end, mounted to the sensor box using the screws that hold the cover on, and then mounted behnd the panel (on the backside of the forward baggage compartment) on the -8. So far, everything has worked perfectly!

Paul

That's a very neat idea!

Pete

Back