What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

George Cowan

bsacks05

Well Known Member
George Cowan - Founding member of EAA 38 - Middle Georgia

I only met him once. My daughter and I were standing in line so she could get a Young Eagles ride at a local airshow. There were eight or ten different aircraft, but only one RV. I wanted my daughter to get in the RV6. I was building my -9 and I wanted her to get the RV experience. I spoke with the gentleman who was at the head of the line and asked if it was possible for my daughter to go on the -6. He said it wasn't a problem and got her on the plane. As I waited for her to return I spoke with him about my project. He showed a genuine appreciation and enthusiasm for what I was doing and shared some of his homebuilding experiences. He even offered to come to my house and inspect my progress even though he lived over an hour away. At the time I couldn't imagine this old guy driving that far and never took him up on his offer. He wrote down his name and phone number. That was a couple years ago.

At a recent chapter meeting it was announced that George Cowan had passed away. At first the name didn't register, but then I realized who it was. It took only a few minutes for this kind man to make a huge impression on a young homebuilder and his daughter. Funny how people like George stand out in your mind after such a brief encounter.

George Cowan was a gentleman!

He used to hang out at my home airport-Herbert Smart airport- in the 60's-70's when it was a hot bed of experimental aviation. He was a walking reference manual.

Back