What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pneumatic Squeezer Problem

Hi all...I'm a new builder (or will be on Friday after Fedex delivers my RV-7 empennage kit) and have been tooling up my shop for the past couple of weeks. I just got a delivery today from The Yard in which I received one of their rebuilt pneumatic squeezers along with some other tools. However, when I connect the squeezer to my air line, it releases air from around the button trigger when it's engaged. I've never used one before and have never read about it doing this. I called the tool room at The Yard and he said that it was normal, but I'm still not convinced. So, I just wanted to confirm whether air normally leaks around the trigger or not. If this isn't normal, I'll just exchange it. I appreciate any input you guys have.

Chris

Mine does the same thing. I got mine from Avery. I think it works like this...someone can correct me if I'm wrong:

When you first squeeze the trigger, it allows air into the chamber, but it also bleeds air to the outside world. This is a clever mechanism to get both a teasing trigger to make the plunger controllable, and also allow the air to escape when you let go of the trigger (i.e. no more air coming in, but the bleeder wide open). When the trigger is fully depressed, there should be no more air leaking out. Maybe a faint hisssss if anything, but mine is whisper quiet.

Thanks...I just went back and checked it again and it's not acting the way you describe, but explains why the tool rep thought it was normal. Mine is releasing A LOT of air and increases the farther I plunge the trigger. Sounds like it's defective. So much for pressing any rivets this weekend. Oh well...

Chris

When I get home tonight, I'll make a little video of how my squeezer works. Then you can decide if yours seems reasonable.

re: pounding rivets....the first thing you rivet in the tail is the stupid bearing bracket. Just skip it and move on to getting the spar caps ready (lots of filing and sanding here). Between that, inventory, studying the plans, and redesigning your instrument panel for the 15 billionth time, you can probably have a new squeezer by the time you're ready to mash your first rivet :)

Perfect - I appreciate you doing that. I really understand how it's supposed to function now. Mine's definitely screwed up. Mostly I was going to play with all of my new tools this weekend anyway, but I guess the pneumatic squeezer can wait.

you could still squeeze those bearing rivets this weekend. i did mine with a hand squeezer 'cuz i was lazy and didn't buy a pneu squeeze right away. i bought one, not too long after hand squeezing all of the HS spar rivets (that sucked!!). i've used my hand squeezer once (just yesterday) since i bought the pneu, and i'm finishing up the right elevator. says a lot for the utility of a pneu squeeze!

the good news is, that the yard is GREAT to work with! i bought a lot of tools (including my pneu squeeze) from them, and i have to say that their customer service is top notch.

Not to steal this thread, but .........

Is this the coolest forum in the world, or what? A guy has a question, and someone shoots a video to answer his question, then posts it for all to see, and the problem is on it's way to being resolved. And all in the matter of a few hours! Man, how cool is that!?!

Thanks, Doug, for putting all of this together so it can be done! I check this site at least once per day, and always get useful information from it.

OK, I'm done. You can have your thread back.

Chris Meredith said:
Perfect - I appreciate you doing that. I really understand how it's supposed to function now. Mine's definitely screwed up. Mostly I was going to play with all of my new tools this weekend anyway, but I guess the pneumatic squeezer can wait.

Chris, I guess it varies with manufacturer as my squeezer doesn't leak ANY air until I release the button. I also went for the foot pedal valve, and strongly recomend it. (doesn't leak any until release w/ the foot valve either) Leaving your hands free for alignment issues is a good thing. With a pneumatic squeezer you will have more trouble on standard head rivets. What usually happens is that you move an the die puts a big cresent cut in the factory head. I have only had it happen a few times but it's a pain. The squeezer is great for dimpling as well.

Bill Jepson

Back