What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Waxing Polished Aluminum

tinman

Well Known Member
Have any of you tried to wax polished aluminum as an attempt to maintian the shine, and if so, how did it work out for you? I was thinking that a carnuba wax would be the way to go since it would be easier to strip if one were to change their mind later and desire a painted aircraft...

The guys at Perfect Polish (Nuvite and polishing system retailer) say - Do NOT use Wax.

They state that the wax must be removed before re-polishing. They state that polishing acts to "form" the aluminum an make it more resistant to corrosion. Over time, the time between re-polishing is suppose to get longer and longer as surface of the aluminum gets more corrosion resistant.

Over time, the time between re-polishing is suppose to get longer and longer

Knowing my love for polishing anything I wonder if the "longer and longer" is the result of it "looking good enough" for longer and longer periods of time. :) I am sure that would be my case. But that is just me. Lazy :D

PS: I would think that wax would potentially be a nightmare if the plane were ever to be painted.

I wouldn't use anything but Nuvite. Tried several things, always come back to Nuvite.

Back