What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cross Country Flying

Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
There are some questions on another thread about Rosies experience getting out long distance.
That needs to be another thread. I hope we can start a new one here? or some one else do it .
I have been stuck in a few places I did not want to be. So I got a insturment ticket. And very nearly gave up flying bacause of the expence of paying for my V35P IFR Bonanza. Too much money going out to keep up the thing...IFR
With my VFR RV 6, I go when I can, pick my WX, but I am flexiable on dates. Lucky I guess?? Mostly I head west out of Fort Worth. I would like to have a IFR plane but am not interested in paying for that. So I will just pay for a room when I get stuck. I do know how to call flight service on 122.00 if the WX looks iffy in flight.I do not push the margins/cheat,,,,,,, cluck, cluck,cluck!!!
When flyers in this aera go east we are going to have a front to deal with, coming or going....Sun n Fun...
I guess Rosie gets the same WX we do east of the Mississippi.
hope this works ? Please add your experiences
Thanks

Jay,

I guess I'm a little confused regarding the expenses you incurred? Granted it was a lowly Cherokee compared to that EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE TO MAINTAIN Bonanza, but over a 3 year period my costs related to IFR flights were less than $400.00 (not counting proficiency costs and charts/plates). Other than the pitot/static check and a couple of vacuum filters, I don't recall anything else. Same vacuum pump, no unusual radio/avionics costs, etc.

I used to hangar with a guy in Houston that specialized in Bonanza maintenance, so I am somewhat familiar with their cost of ownership, and wonder if that's what you're talking about?

Dave

Nothing to do about a Bonanza

I spent a lot on a 1961 Cessna 172, keeping/ adding to the 2, King 170B/ KI 209 and King ADF, Century I autopuilot up to speed before I bought the Bonanza.
The P35 had two 170Bs with KI 209s. duel glide slopes. ADF, KMA 124, full auto pilot ..any way,,.,the things were a CONSTANT drain on my fuel. money, time. It was too much plane for my personal pocket. Not the Bonanzas fault, it is easy to buy more than one can afford. Heck I still want a Beech 18 and a C185

No complant on the Bonanza, I owned it for 5+ years and 800 hours, it served me well. Flew it to Trinidad, Barbados, St Martin,OSH,Reno, New York I would still have it if I could afford it. The comfort of a Bonanza is the best.
I think the new radios we put in our RVs are cheeper to maintaine than the older stuff I had in those planes. Plus the EXP on our airworthness Pink slips makes our airplanes more desirable.
The RV 10 will make the spam cans,.old ,slow,and expensive, airplanes
Thanks

Last edited:
How Rosie flies so much cross country...

Rosie said:
"I get 4 weeks vacation per year plus 1 week at Thanksgiving and Christmas. We use that time for traveling back east to visit friends. One week trips usually put 50hrs on the hobbs.

I'm also on a 9/80 work schedule so I get a 3-day weekend every other weekend. It's not unusual for us to cover a few states in 3 days e.g. We'll leave early Friday for Idaho, spend Saturday afternoon/evening in Utah, Sunday in Nevada then home by dark (putting 10hrs on the hobbs)."
jonbakerok said:
How do you do it Rosie?

Seems like every time I try to go somewhere I get nailed by the weather. Just this weekend, I need to pick up my daughter in San Antonio and fly her home to Houston so she can borrow a car for the week while hers is in the shop. As usual, the clear sky prediction for the weekend turned to rain as soon as I needed to fly. So instead of a 2 hour morning errand, now I'm looking at 8 hours in I-10 traffic while my 200 mph time machine sits in the hangar. Grrrr!

And last fall, we tried to use a three-day weekend to see our other daughter in Atlanta. Forecast at the start of the trip was for a week of severe-clear. The trip over was a delightful 4 hours under clear skys with a 20 kt tailwind. Two days later, I had to put my wife on Continental rather than expose her to what I knew lay in store on the way home -- 8 hours of battling headwinds and turbulence at 1500 feet under the overcast, picking my way between the storms by the shades of grey on the horizon.

When I look back over the 6 years I've been flying, I can't think of a single time I've ever been more than 500 miles from home without getting grounded or scared half to death by weather at some point. I read about guys like you and I'm just mystified. How do you do it? Do you just get comfortable with "VFR not recommended"?

I've been considering going for the IFR ticket, but honestly, I'm not sure it would really help that much. At least VFR, I can choose my route and altitude. If I'd been IFR on that Georgia trip, I'd have spent that 8 hours blindly boring through one storm after another. Doesn't strike me as much of an improvement.

Sorry to get off-topic, but it's something that's been nagging at me ever since that trip. I mean, I've got this great magic carpet, but I'm getting to the point where I'm afraid to use it to actually go anywhere. Then I read about your exploits and I've gotta ask -- what do you know that I haven't figured out yet?
I'll start with telling you that before we built our RV-6A, I had about 380 hours in my logbook penned over a 21 year period (averages about 1.5 hr/month). With 2400+ hours in my logbook now, I?m embarrassed that I?m not instrument rated though I?m currently in IFR training with friend/CFI-I Howard Long using our plane.

Before the RV, the farthest I had ever flown from home (SoCAL) was 180nm to Las Vegas and back. That was a BIG deal for Victoria & I to fly to Las Vegas for the weekend. I rarely flew more than an hour one way in the rented Grumman Tiger since that would put me over 2 hours hobbs to pay for when I got home.

I was very fortunate to have met and become great friends with Gary Sobek during the time I was building. Gary flew his RV-6 a couple of years before me, and I was reading about HIS cross country travels. His trip logs really kept me motivated to finish our plane.

My first flight was July 4, 2000. We were not planning on attending OSH since that was 1500nm away; too far for us! Gary offered to fly ?lead? to OSH so we followed him all the way there, 20 days after my first flight. And that was the beginning of our cross country flying in an RV. I have to say that I had a good mentor whose motto is ?I?d rather be a live chicken than dead duck.?

Many of our first cross countries were spent chasing Gary all around the western USA including a 2-ship with him to Alaska. He taught me a LOT about weather and about using all the resources available while enroute: Center, Flight Watch, Approach?they are there for you.

All those trips finally gave me the confidence to venture out on my own to Florida during Thanksgiving week, 2001. The rest is history?the USA doesn?t seem so big now ;-)

For all those trips we've made, we've only been grounded due to weather maybe 4 or 5 times (mostly stuck in the Ohio Valleys...what's with that :confused: )

Sooooo, how do we do it? Here are my 10 rules on cross country flying;

#1: Got time to spare? Go by Air! If you don?t have time built into your trip for weather delays, don?t fly. Never depend on the weather to be your friend. Drive, fly Commercial or stay home if you are time-limited.
#2: I?m married to a Weather Channel fanatic! Victoria will watch it closely starting a week before we are planning a trip. I like looking at PROG charts. This gives us an idea of what the future ?might? look like. As our departure date nears, we?ll start deciding on what route is looking best.
#3: We live in the west, in the desert: 99% of the time, we are able to depart on the day we planned to. Living east of the Rockies is an entirely different in my book? I can only think of one time we left a day early due to weather moving in and that was for the Bahamas trip; Gary Sobek was unable to leave early and he got stuck behind the front we got in front of and he missed the Turks & Caicos portion of the trip :(
#4: Be flexible on your destinations: You can plan a flight but that necessarily mean you have to fly the plan. Weather changes and you need to be flexible in changing with it. Always fly to where the weather is good.
#5: Meet new friends! I can count the times we?ve stayed in a motel as we stay with friends whenever we can (and I?m not embarrassed to ask). RV folks are truly the best people you will ever meet, especially when so far from home. Carry a copy of the RV Hospitality list in your plane. If you?re going to be stuck, at least be stuck with friends :) Note: Our skypark home will hopefully be open to you all late this year!
#6: Center and Flight Watch are your friends! We talk with Center on EVERY cross country flight we make. And if they can?t take me, I?ll ask for the next frequency of someone who can. Flight Watch (122.0) can help keep you VFR but you have to call and ask. I have great respect for the service FSS provides to pilots.
#7: Always have an out! RVs move quickly, and there are some weather systems that you can fly around. If you deviate, make sure you have an alternate just in case weather starts going down hill. ALWAYS have an out! Superior pilots use their superior knowledge to keep them away from situations that will require their superior flight skills :)
#8: Know your limits! Flying in the Los Angeles Basin, I?ve learned that 3 miles visibility sometimes means ?1.5 miles in front of you and 1.5 miles behind you?. Yes, I fly in marginal conditions (VFR not recommended) but I?ll do so while abiding by rules #6 & #7. I fly VFR on top if need be as long as I know I?ll have scattered to clear at my destination (please don?t debate the VFR on top this on this thread). I fly VFR at night when needed AND when the weather is severe clear (ditto on the debate). I do this knowing my limits. Know when to say when?.think ?Live Chicken?.
#9: Repeat after me; ?It?s better to be down here wishing you were up there than up there wishing you were down here.? If you are hesitant about departing on the next leg of your trip because of weather, then go ahead and hesitate?flinch?take a break. Call Flight Service, recheck DUATS. It's OK not to go...get a room, check out the local sites, maybe go tomorrow. You are not a real pilot until you?ve flown somewhere, landed, then driven the rest of the way to get to your destination :)
#10: Flying is NOT safe! Got your attention, eh? Well, it?s not. Go ahead, look up the word safe in any dictionary. SAFE: Without risk or harm. I?m a firm believer in the John & Martha King School that flying is a continuing course in ?Risk Management?. Bad things can happen if you take unnecessary risks. You can fly the same hour a thousand times or you can fly a thousand different hours. The next hour you fly will be the most important one regardless of how many you have in your book. Minimize your risk: Make sure you have plenty of fuel and stay away from bad weather.

I do not consider myself an expert on weather but with help from friends like Gary Sobek and others, I've learned to respect it and fly within the limits of my abilities and ability of the plane.

Traveling cross country is a very rewarding experience, and I hope that all of you can one day see this beautiful country we live in as you travel across the country in your RV, it?s AWESOME!

I thank Doug Reeves for this website where we can all share and learn from each other.

Keep poundin? them rivets because it's all worth it! Rosie

PS: Some favorite weather and flight planning links;
http://www.intellicast.com (you can input Airport IDs directly e.g. LAX, DFW, ATL etc)
http://adds.aviationweather.gov/
http://www.wunderground.com/
http://www.rvproject.com/wx/
http://map.aeroplanner.com/mapping/route/index.cfm
http://www.airnav.com

Last edited:
Rosie,

That's probably the most informative post I've seen on any aviation list in years! Thanks for that.

BTW, Rosie and I have met several times here in the Ohio Valley area, once while he was snowed in in Kokomo Indiana over Chirstmas. We've probably had two or three weekends this winter where the weather has cooperated.

When my Rocket is done, I have a West coast trip planned. I will definitely look you up. Thanks for sharing the wisdom you've learned.

Additional Weather Sites

I fly from Amarillo, mostly west to NV, CA, OR and ID and over 20 years I can count on one hand the times I've had to stay over. Decisions to depart are another story.
In addition to Rosie's weather sites here are a couple of additional ones that I like:

http://www.lightningstorm.com/ls2/gpg/lex1/mapdisplay_free.jsp?jrunsessionid=103609930757224797

http://usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?

http://adds.aviationweather.gov/

Roger Robertson
Trinidad TB20
Looking for a good 6,7 or 9.
[email protected]

Great post!

#3 is probably pretty pertinent (living in a desert). At least you only have to worry about the weather at one end of the trip.

But, still, to be able to get in the time you have, on three day weekends between two jobs -- well, I'd just bet your "live chicken" factor is in a whole other range than mine. That's got to be experience. Somehow you've learned to tell when FSS really means it when they say "VFR not recommended".

I'm in awe!

By the way -- has anyone else ever wondered why they lump all marginal weather into one category and just tell us not to do it? I know they have to cover their legal butts, but it seems like they could at least give a range. ("VFR not recommended for low-timers"..."VFR not recommended for amateurs"..."VFR really risky"..."VFR a genuine dumb idea"..."VFR technically legal but suicidal"). Think about it. If the professional weather expert at the other end of the phone won't give you a real opinion, then you the amateur weatherman are forced to do it.

You're right Jon, we ARE supposed to do that ourselves.
Those additional sub-classifications of VFR are what we ourselves are supposed to figure out (and assign) based upon current weather, and coupled with a personal evaluation of our own experience value and pucker factor we allow for ourselves. :D

Last edited:
It's been my experience that when they say "VFR not recommended", I don't want to fly in it. The only exception is when it's marginal due to ceilings, but visibility is still good. In a large part of the Central/Eastern half of the US, you get used to flying around thunderstorms, scud running along frontal boundries, ducking under temporary low ceilings, and flying VFR on top.

The RV is a pretty good performing airplane and you can circumvent weather in it that you'd probably not try in a spam can. In the end, I strongly recommend that you set personal limits for ceilings, visibility, time on top and stick to them religiously.

A few more list items

Here are a couple of other items I find useful:

1) Get a Low Altitude IFR chart.
For going long distances these are great. They have the west on one side
and the east on the other. They have the V airways, VORs airports etc.
Great for roughing in a trip especially since I have yet to make it across
the country flying my initial plan. I mark the airports with cheap gas,
points of interest etc, on this chart so I can pick out good stops.

2) Push the good weather not the bad.
2a) Wake up early!

These two have can really save a trip. If you get just a few miles
farther the day before, or you get out at 6:00AM you could
be on the good side of the front. If the weather is
good I just keep on flying!

3) A fuel totalizer is really your friend!
If you never fly farther than one tank away it doesn't matter but on
long x-countries it is really nice to know exactly how much fuel you
are burning. I'm always looking at my GPS's ETA and my fuel remaining
in hours.

Chuck

VFR not recommended -- a war story

Highflight said:
You're right Jon, we ARE supposed to do that ourselves.
Those additional sub-classifications of VFR are what we ourselves are supposed to figure out (and assign) based upon current weather, and coupled with a personal evaluation of our own experience value and pucker factor we allow for ourselves. :D

Vern
RV7-A

Well, obviously, the final decision is mine. But I've got to believe that the opinion of a guy with a meteorology degree who spends every day watching the weather develop is going to be a lot better than mine. My complaint is that he's in effect forbidden from giving his opinion whenever the conditions drop below perfect. Instead, his rule book tells him to simply repeat the phrase "VFR not recommended". Which forces me, the rank amateur weatherman, to make a potentially life or death decision based on artificially limited information. It's nuts.

Oh, sure. I could just decide to never fly whenever I hear that ominous phrase. But I didn't build a 200 MPH traveling machine just so I could hop over to Brenham for a burger on Saturdays.

Real life example: My first trip to Sun-N-Fun, in my old Cherokee 140. I had about 100 hours under my belt. The day I'm ready to leave the show, it's a little foggy, but I can see the other end of the runway, so it looks flyable to me. I call FSS -- "VFR not recommended. Fog extends all the way to Tallahasse, not expected to burn off until after 11:00". Oh, well, maybe later. After all, that's why I took an extra two days vacation. But the fog doesn't really clear until about 1:00. Too late to leave. Since I couldn't make home in one day, I decided I might as well stay another day and enjoy the show.

Next day, same report, only now I'm running out of time. So I start asking some of the old hands and I get these chuckles. "You scratched because of this? Man, don't you know it's ALWAYS foggy in the morning at Lakeland?". Then I get the real skinny -- "That little haze is barely 100 foot thick, but FSS is never going to give you a go-ahead. Punch through it and head east. In less than half an hour you'll be in the clear". I didn't see another cloud until I was approaching the Mississippi valley.

I put down at Meridian, MS for fuel and checked FSS again. "VFR not recommended. Low clouds, potential buildups, with showers in your path and tops to 5000 ft for the next 50 miles ". Well, with my new-found skepticism of FSS, I decided to rely on my own judgement -- after all, my Cherokee was good for at least 10,000 ft, right? Half an hour later, I'm turning back, as those 5,000 ft. clouds come up to meet me at 9,000. And as the first wisps start to engulf me, I notice little chunks of something bouncing off the windscreen -- ICE! Well, fortunately, I was able to make it back to the edge before I ever completely lost sight of the sky or picked up any ice. But it took another 45 minutes to get around and under the cloud deck (which by that time was over the field) and scud-run my way back through rain to Meridian. I had to ask for "Special VFR" to get back in.

Two "VFR not recommended" opinions on the same day to the same low-timer -- the first completely bogus and the second deadly serious. The guy on the other end of the phone knew the truth both times, but couldn't say it, so I was forced to use my own pitifully inadequate knowledge and experience. It could have gotten me killed.

And THAT's why I'm so in awe of a guy who can squeeze 2000 hours of cross-country flying around two jobs in a little over a year, without so much as an IFR ticket. Because, like I said, I've never been over 500 miles from home without getting a "VFR not recommended" at some point and I don't think that's unusual. I'm getting a little better at figuring out when they really mean it, but I still manage to scare myself once in awhile when I guess wrong. It would sure be easier if I could rely on the experience of the expert instead having to develop my own by trial and (potentially deadly) error. I just don't see the logic.

Jon,

You might want to get a couple of videos from King on VFR weather flying. They will help you assess weather conditions and to set personal minimums for flight.

We've all got weather stories. Everyone one of us has:

1) Been up there and wished we were down there; and
2) Taken off in weather only to return a short time later to the same airport.

No one guesses right every time. I would take exception to your comments that one of the "VFR Flight Not Recommended" was bogus. You might not have said that if you would have encountered an engine failure shortly after takeoff and had to search for an off-field landing location.

I've found the latest weather web sites a great benefit to making that fly/no fly decision. The ADDS site gives you a pictorial representation of all the reporting stations. Let's me know if local weather is truly local or widespread.

I can feel for you. It hard to get the experience necessary to make these decisions. In the end, don't fly in any weather that makes you uncomfortable. If you need to get more comfortable, fly with other RV'ers cross country or seek out an instructor for advise at your departure airport. They are always willing to assist you.

VFR is/not recommended

jonbakerok said:
Well, obviously, the final decision is mine. But I've got to believe that the opinion of a guy with a meteorology degree who spends every day watching the weather develop is going to be a lot better than mine. My complaint is that he's in effect forbidden from giving his opinion whenever the conditions drop below perfect. Instead, his rule book tells him to simply repeat the phrase "VFR not recommended". Which forces me, the rank amateur weatherman, to make a potentially life or death decision based on artificially limited information. It's nuts.

Oh, sure. I could just decide to never fly whenever I hear that ominous phrase. But I didn't build a 200 MPH traveling machine just so I could hop over to Brenham for a burger on Saturdays.

Real life example: My first trip to Sun-N-Fun, in my old Cherokee 140. I had about 100 hours under my belt. The day I'm ready to leave the show, it's a little foggy, but I can see the other end of the runway, so it looks flyable to me. I call FSS -- "VFR not recommended. Fog extends all the way to Tallahasse, not expected to burn off until after 11:00". Oh, well, maybe later. After all, that's why I took an extra two days vacation. But the fog doesn't really clear until about 1:00. Too late to leave. Since I couldn't make home in one day, I decided I might as well stay another day and enjoy the show.

Next day, same report, only now I'm running out of time. So I start asking some of the old hands and I get these chuckles. "You scratched because of this? Man, don't you know it's ALWAYS foggy in the morning at Lakeland?". Then I get the real skinny -- "That little haze is barely 100 foot thick, but FSS is never going to give you a go-ahead. Punch through it and head east. In less than half an hour you'll be in the clear". I didn't see another cloud until I was approaching the Mississippi valley.

I put down at Meridian, MS for fuel and checked FSS again. "VFR not recommended. Low clouds, potential buildups, with showers in your path and tops to 5000 ft for the next 50 miles ". Well, with my new-found skepticism of FSS, I decided to rely on my own judgement -- after all, my Cherokee was good for at least 10,000 ft, right? Half an hour later, I'm turning back, as those 5,000 ft. clouds come up to meet me at 9,000. And as the first wisps start to engulf me, I notice little chunks of something bouncing off the windscreen -- ICE! Well, fortunately, I was able to make it back to the edge before I ever completely lost sight of the sky or picked up any ice. But it took another 45 minutes to get around and under the cloud deck (which by that time was over the field) and scud-run my way back through rain to Meridian. I had to ask for "Special VFR" to get back in.

Two "VFR not recommended" opinions on the same day to the same low-timer -- the first completely bogus and the second deadly serious. The guy on the other end of the phone knew the truth both times, but couldn't say it, so I was forced to use my own pitifully inadequate knowledge and experience. It could have gotten me killed.

And THAT's why I'm so in awe of a guy who can squeeze 2000 hours of cross-country flying around two jobs in a little over a year, without so much as an IFR ticket. Because, like I said, I've never been over 500 miles from home without getting a "VFR not recommended" at some point and I don't think that's unusual. I'm getting a little better at figuring out when they really mean it, but I still manage to scare myself once in awhile when I guess wrong. It would sure be easier if I could rely on the experience of the expert instead having to develop my own by trial and (potentially deadly) error. I just don't see the logic.

Jon,
I'm a low-timer just like you and understand your frustration. Although the weather is a little different in ND than MS, "VFR not recommended" is pretty much the standard phrase here unless the weather is 12,000 ceiling with 10+miles visibility(okay, I'm exaggerating a little).

Here's what I do:
BEFORE calling FSS, I make good use of all of the computerized weather information, including graphical displays, then I ponder what the weather is likely to do by the time I arrive in the area of question(i.e. is it getting warmer or colder, clouds moving in/out/up/down, Tstorms brewing in the afternoon, marine fog layer in AM or Pm, etc), then consider terrain restrictions (flying across the fairly benign Midwest or taking on the Rocky Mountains). Then, I call FSS and compare when what I'm told with the opinion that I have already formed. I sometimes do this just for practice, especially if going by automobile.

When the man says, "IFR only" then I stay on the ground.

Most importantly, always leave an escape route. Before the weather gets scary, formulate some options. ALWAYS LAND WHILE STILL HAVING AN OPTION.

Last but not least, consider this: for the cost of one emergency room visit, you can rent a heck of a lot of hotel rooms.

I practice my weather skills just like I practice my flying skills.
Good luck and be safe,

Mark Andrews

Back