What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Winter Safety

Norman CYYJ

Well Known Member
Well we got snow and more snow and more snow. This might not seem so bad for most of you out there but we hardly ever see snow here in Victoria BC. We don't have snow shovels or snow ploughs, they all have to be brought in. At the airport, too much snow that they closed it for cleaning. I was going to go flying today but the taxi way is so slippery that I had to take the wheel pants off and put the chains on. They got hung up on the brakes so I called it quits. How are you guys in the snow belts handling it? Do you guys use chains for better traction and control? Help needed.

My RV is far from finished but I did my PPL in a C172 during winter...
-Don't use the brakes unless really required to
-Use the prop wash on the rudded to control the plane at low speed (hit full rudder, push the throttle in for 1-2 seconds, release throttle)
-Make sure you have plenty of runway

The most difficult part is actually parking the plane... Step out and place it by hand

I love flying in the winter, aka snow. I use my kitfox. Sometimes I'll go out to the runway and the tower gives me a, ah, ah ah. A C172 landed about 1/2 hour ago and said the braking is horrible. Well I never brake with my airplane, that's why the brakes are still good after 900hrs and 3 years and over 12000 landings, I love touch and goes. But getting back to the situation here. I got clearance for take off and went around for some touches. Landed and hit the brakes at about 5mph, slid but stopped. I called to the tower and said, everything just fine for me. Did another 20 touches, with total fun, the runway was loaded with snow and ice. I also have bush wheels that are total slicks.

My only advice, don't use the brakes, period, when taxi, you count on wind over the control surfaces, period. Once you hit the brakes, it's over, so taxi real slow(a crawl). IF you want to turn, you come to a complete stop, hit full rudder and than gently put in the power until it turns(you can put the brake on at this point). If that don't do it, you shut down and turn the aircraft manually than start up and move to the next turn.

I would never use chains, I guess I never heard of them on an aircraft, but taking the pants off is a must. I think studs on the wheels would work, if there is such a thing.

If you need to use the brakes, pump them lightly, don't apply them and keep them on.

Oh, so you don't feel bad about your snow, I'm sure it will leave faster than ours. We got so much snow in such a short period of time, that when I went out to clear the snow in front of my hangar, it had already got over two feet. The snow was above my snow blower, glad I had that baby. I'm in Spokane, wa. just down and to the right of you.

I heard that you guys got a real dump..We got a total of about 15 inches over the last week. More tonite. Heard SEA had hurricane winds last week. We only got up to about 38kts. Cold wx for here. Caution Caution Global Warming.lol

Winter Flying

Here in Minnesota we fly all the time in winter but the RV is NOT a great airplane for that but it does okay. The wings are too low to the ground so they do not clear even medium size snow banks when taxiing, it is also built low to the ground so its bottom will get beat up from any ice that gets picked up, and its wheels are very small for that type of flying. My RV6 has been flying since 2004 and I have not tried to operate off of deep snow covered runways yet but I have flown off packed snow/ice.

I retired so I get out of here when winter gets going in earnest but I have operated a C170 off frozen lakes, off hard packed snow and in powder snow. That aircraft is a natural in that environment although the C180 would be ideal.

It is not recommended to point that nose at anything you can't stand to hit while the engine is running when on glare ice or hardpack snow. Take any distance you feel you can safely taxi on, double that, then operate on it and that even goes for engine start up. Position the airplane down the ramp manually, then start the engine. Use flight controls to taxi not the brakes until you experiment enough to know how much brake action you can expect. Each flight should start with this in mind as you just don't know what to expect until you try it.

Conditions will change from powder in the early part of the day, to slush if temps moderate towards noon, then lumpy, frozen snow as the slush freezes towards mid afternoon (here the temp drop is usually at about 3 pm). You can encounter all this in just one flight so you have to be aware of whats happening.

Landings should be full stall, soft field with the stick back. Takeoffs should be tail low with the goal to get the weight on the wings & off the gear ASAP. Cross winds will have to be handled with flight controls only as you don't know what affect brakes will have so don't get into a position where you are depending on them.

I have never heard of chains on wheels nor studded aircraft tires but I have on cars. Also, remove wheel fairings as they will accumulate snow & slush on the runway, freeze as you climb and can lock a wheel at the worst time or gain a lot of weight rapidly and damage your fairing at the least. It is one of those things you can get away them on most of the time but eventually the wheel fairing will cause a problem.

Generally, the public airports here are well plowed and are even ice free most of the time. Most all flying is done off clear runways although some times it is done on iced runways or hard pack snow at smaller airports. The biggest problem is finger drifts of new snow being blown across the runway with a buildup of snow in the lee of the upwind side of the runway. As you roll through them the up wind wheel will catch them but the downwind wheel will either be in shallower snow or no snow at all causing the airplane to suddenly yaw to the side drawing you into the snow farther...or snow banks if they use a plow rather than a snowblower. Big city airports usually have snow equipment based right on the field so the problem is removed as soon as its discovered but smaller towns with lesser air traffic don't have the equipment so these problems are more common.

At those smaller airports I usually fly an upwind and a downwind while I look the runway over to try and pick out drifts, ice, water, etc. then plan the landing accordingly. On the positive side, if the runways are clear, the aircraft & engine both operate very well with good response to the more dense cooler air. You will have very good climb characteristics, smooth air and, unless it is in the well below zero range, the engine will develop more power. You will get better cruise speeds and it is very satisfying flying.

Now, I have been there and done that, and after the holidays, we are getting in our bigger RV (motorhome type) and heading out to the sunny southwest. Good luck with your snow flying but be careful.

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD
RV8 fuselage kit
Northfield, MN 3 seasons
winter...Tucson & Las Cruces, NM

Back