What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spin testing 9A

Greg Arehart

Well Known Member
Anyone out there have experience at spin testing a 9A? I'm not near that point yet, but would like to gather any info that I can before (maybe) trying this.

greg

Anyone out there have experience at spin testing a 9A? I'm not near that point yet, but would like to gather any info that I can before (maybe) trying this.

greg

Greg,

Remembering this topic being tossed around in the past, I let my fingers do the walking into the archives and it produced this. Likely this won't answer your question, but it is something for you to read none the less.

For what it is worth I can't even imagine how badly you would have to mess up in a 9 to unintentionally get into a spin. You can recover from stalls by simply releasing pressure from the stick, and this doesn't mean stuffing the stick forward. Just slightly releasing pressure gets you flying again. You'll love your plane.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=21447&highlight=spinning

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Bryan - your search ability is obviously better than mine. Sounds like spin testing is a no-go, but I hope Bill R chimes in with whether he actually tried it or not.

greg

Thanks for the link Bryan - your search ability is obviously better than mine. Sounds like spin testing is a no-go, but I hope Bill R chimes in with whether he actually tried it or not.

greg

Your welcome. Sometimes the keywords you put in the search feature come back as to generic to provide results. I remembered that Bill had started the thread and used that in the search also.

don't forget Google search

Remember you can force Google to search only one website using this syntax:

<search term(s)> site:<URL of site>

Example:

spin test RV-9 site:www.vansairforce.com/community

Works way better that the built in search (not a knock on VAF, this is common to the generic forum software).

Your welcome. Sometimes the keywords you put in the search feature come back as to generic to provide results. I remembered that Bill had started the thread and used that in the search also.
Van's recommends against spinning the -9.

OK, the legal stuff is out of the way.

I started working on this, got distracted testing the Dynon autopilot and never finished all the testing I wanted to do, thus I won't post how far (how many turns), or my feelings about it.

That about covers it.

Back