What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prop for a RV-9A with an O-320

Larry

I am now trying to decide what prop to get. I am considering a fixed pitch metal Sensenich. Two additional decisions that I need to make are the blade pitch and the bolt diameters. Is there a consensus on what pitch is best for the RV-9A? I expect I will be doing a lot of pattern flying or just short hops. At this point climb performance is of a higher priority to me.

I understand that the prop bolts can have either 7/16" or 3/8" diameters. I would think the larger diameter is the better. The engine I will get will be built to match the bolts on the prop. What diameter is better for the prop bolts?

What are the concerns with prop extensions? Do I need a prop extension for the RV-9A with an O-320?

How good is the reliability of the LightSpeed Direct Crank pickup? Is it better to get the Hall Effect pickup?

Sensenich

I have the 9A with the fixed pitch sensenich. You need the prop extension and it takes the larger bolts. There is a 2600 rpm limitation on the prop. My 0-320-D1A 9A climbs at 1700-1800 fpm. Right on Vans numbers, I think. If you go with a new sensenich, check the classifieds on this site. The winner of the LOE raffle sensenich door prize has it for sale at a savings. He says that sensenich will send the one you spec out. Jack

edit: go to Vans prop order form online and it gives some guidance on pitch etc.

It is a long lead time

It turns out Sensenich makes the props to order and the lead time is something like four to six MONTHS. Plan ahead.

With the climb performance of the "standard" prop as recommended by Van's climbing won't be an issue so you probably won't need a "climb prop".

Wow - really 4 - 6 months wait for a Sensenich? Just ordered a Catto and Craig is estimating 5 months. Makes me feel a little better, I guess, knowing that it takes just as long from somewhere else. Wonder what to do if the plane is ready well before then.

Scott

I ordered my Catto prop in early January and just got it last Sunday (thank goodness I ordered so early). It did go straight from the box to the nose non-stop, but I never waited because of it. I just hope it fly as good as it looks.

Scott

Prop Lead Time

Yep, Craig Catto and Sensenich are both working to the same schedule.

One of the local -9A's had a little issue with the nose gear in mid-July and had to buy a new Sensenich, it won't be here until November or December.

I ordered the prop for my -9 on August 30th and Craig said it should be ready in mid-November. I won't need it until late next year at the earliest but I wanted to get it out of the way. (Sorry guys, it won't work with your O-320's as it is optimized for my E-mag'ed and carbureted O-290-D2.)

6 months wait on a prop.. ?

6 months. ? damn.. anyone switching from fixed to constant ? I need a prop for a 9a on a 150 hp motor.. :) guess the wait on the constant speed is that long ?

Danny..

Back