What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grove Gear?

praterdj

Well Known Member
I am considering going with the Grove aluminum gear on my 8 to save the 11 or so pounds. Does anyone have experience flying RV?s with Vans? standard gear along with an RV with Grove Gear?

I?m interested to know if there is any difference in the way the plane handles on the ground or how it reacts during touch down. (Is one more prone to bounce that another?)

I have flown similar planes with different gear and they reacted differently. I?m just curious before I spend the money.

Thanks for any input.

Donald
8-Empennage

Grove gear

I can't answer your question about the handling, since I've got the grove gear, and the only other RV8 I have flown in had them as well. One thing I would mention is that they seem to have a single-piece gear that does not appear to be listed on their website. You may want to look at this option as well.

I've got several articles on my website about the grove gear, if you want to have a look:

http://www.rv8.ch/search.php?query=grove&type=all&mode=search

I have flown both

You would be hard pressed to really tell the difference. Both are good choices and give the best feel of all the RV's except for the 10 which I have not flown.
Kahuna

My mind is made up

Thanks for the help guys. I have made the decision to use the Grove gear. I might even polish them! I like the way the gear look but again the main reason is to save weight.

DP

Calling Jay Pratt......

Hopefully Jay Pratt (of RV Central) will chime in on this one. I recall Jay test flying one or two RV's with the Grove gear, and if memory serves me, he indicated he could tell a big difference.

Jay?

Funny you should say that

Actually it was Jay who initially told me to consider the Grove gear because of my desire to save weight.

I trust Jays' expertise but I wanted some other opinions as well. I've been reading other articles and I really like the way they look.

Measure 4 times...cut once....re order parts because you misread tape all 4 times....might not happen to everyone else but it seems to happen to me. :eek:

Yep, your 'reorder parts' statement reminds me of my dang trim tab!

The replacement skin is cheap; the "shipping and handling" is the killer! :mad:

Back