What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A N905AD Daryl Sahnow (part I)

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
The Odyssey of N905AD

As with many endeavors, this story begins with much musing about whether building an airplane was even possible by someone without any experience in aircraft construction. With this in mind, my potential building partner Andy Rux and I made a trip to visit a retired Van?s aircraft employee Art Chard at his home in Stevensville, MT. Art was instrumental in several of Van?s prototypes and is an accomplished builder who still keeps busy with various aircraft projects. His advice: ?Get to it! I know you can do it!? So with these words of encouragement and a sense of pioneering, I put down the money for an RV-9A empennage kit and got in line for the full Quick Build kit.

The empennage kit arrived in October of 2005 and we threw ourselves into learning the basics of aluminum fabrication. We were lucky to have Ken Kreuger stop by and show us the basics of riveting, and we practiced his instruction advice throughout the remainder of building. Thanks Ken! Our construction took place in my shop building which is a 36 foot by 48 foot open shop with plenty of tables and space for building an aircraft. The empennage took us until mid December to complete and we were done just in time as the Quick Build kit arrived just before Christmas of 2005. And that?s how we came up with our N number: It?s an RV9 started in 2005 by Andy and Daryl, N905AD ? Get it? OK, so it?s lame, but it works for us!

Thus began our work in earnest on the fuselage and much discussion centered on the panel and what should be included and how it should be configured. We quickly zeroed in on this being a VFR only bird with limited night flying capability. And Rob Hickman of Advanced Flight Systems had just come out with their new combined EFIS/EMS system which really appealed to us. The GPS system was a little tougher to decide and we first thought of using a Garmin 396/496 but decided to go with the larger display found in the AvMap EKP-IV. It?s main drawback is the lack of in-flight weather, but they continue to claim that they will offer this option ?soon?. We combined these main items with Van?s standard electrical package, Garmin?s SL-40 comm radio, GTX-327 transponder, PS Engineering intercom, and a Digitrak single axis autopilot. The result is a panel that?s clean and efficient and has everything within easy reach. By deciding on our configuration early on and staying with these choices, we were able to avoid any time delays from changing things as we progressed with our building.

By this time we had fallen into our building routine that would last until we completed the project. During the week we would usually put in a couple of hours of work after dinner (from about 7PM until around 9PM) and work Friday and Sunday afternoons. Our records show that we averaged about 70-75 hours a month of actual building time and totaled about 1750 hours by the time we completed the project.

Throughout the building we had some great assistance by my fellow employees here at Van?s. First we had Ken Krueger who helped us get started with the riveting, then helped with the painting and flew the aircraft on its first flight. Scott McDaniels was also a great help with a myriad of issues and advice. He probably got tired of me asking him all sorts of questions about everything! He also spent time with us to show us how to do the canopy transition fiberglass and we used his techniques to lay up the rear canopy strip. Scott was also instrumental in helping us re-drill the canopy hinge pins to get a nice tight fit on the canopy. And don?t forget the work of Gus Funnel. He helped us install the wings and make sure the incidence was properly set. With my large shop we were able to put both wings on the airplane inside the shop and still have room to move around. Gus also helped close up the wings and final install of the wings once we moved to the airport. Many thanks have to go to all these people for their help throughout the building process.

I had decided early on to purchase my engine from Aerosport engines (an O-320) and after much debate decided to go with a fixed pitch prop (Sensenich 78 pitch cruise prop), but have the engine setup to allow for use of a constant speed prop if I later decided to go that route. I drove up to Canada in October of 2006 to pick up the engine and meet with the experts at Aerosport. The engine is setup with dual magnetos and is a carbureted engine with no frills. When the engine arrived, we started on the baffling and completed the rear baffles with the oil cooler mounted. The modifications we made were to run the baffle seals straight across by the oil cooler and to add extra bracing to the rear baffling. By the time we mounted the engine the kits for the new baffling were available, so we used those parts for the forward baffling and that gave us a nice baffle system.

100_0320.jpg

100_0325.jpg

On to part II...

RV-9A N905AD Daryl Sahnow (part II)

By this time we were nearing completion of the basic airframe which led us to discussions about when to paint the airplane. We talked with a great many people on this subject and everyone seemed to have their own opinion with no real consensus as to what is the best practice. We finally decided that painting the airplane before we took it to the airfield would be the best decision for us. This led to the building of a paint booth in my shop and deciding on who would do the actual painting of the airplane. We were committed to doing the prep work and cleanup work, but neither I nor my partner had any experience at actual painting. Enter a couple of friends, Ken and Frank. They were instrumental in sharing the duties of spraying. The paint scheme was decided on early in our planning process and was based around the paint scheme on the RV-10 220RV at Van?s aircraft but with our choice of colors. The final result is a nice looking aircraft, and although it delayed our first flight, the choice to paint the aircraft before final assembly paid dividends in the long run as we had a ?finished? aircraft at the time of the first flight. A nice paint job and panel, coupled with interior upholstery by Abby of Flightline Interiors resulted in a really nice finished product that gives us the Van?s grin every time we fly it!

One of the most time consuming endeavors in the entire build process was the final prep work on the fiberglass components. I had very little experience with fiberglass work (and don?t want to get any more!) and wasn?t prepared for the amount of hand work needed to fill all the pinholes to get a nice smooth paint surface for the final painting. Of course, we may have done things the hard way, but it sure seemed to take a long time to get the prep work completed. And even then we are still finding pin holes that we missed ? and we thought that we were being very careful! I?m sure glad we didn?t decide to make an all fiberglass airplane!
Throughout the building process that took slightly over two years, our building partnership worked out really well. I know that partnerships often do not work out, but in our case it worked well. Having two pairs of eyes looking over the work helped us make as few mistakes as possible. In addition, we kept each other motivated. Two plus years is a long time to stick to a project and there were times that it seemed it would never end. But having another enthusiastic partner makes getting by those low times much easier. And we seemed to complement each other in our skill sets so we each felt that we were contributing and weren?t ?competing? with each other. This reduced any friction that may otherwise have developed and allowed each partner to feel like the project was a true joint effort. With all that said, it was still a long haul and I?m not ready to start on another project any time soon!

When the project was finally completed we had a very competent pilot at the controls on it?s maiden flight. His only comment upon landing was ?no problems, actually boring? which we took as being very good. We now have currently 30 hours on 905AD. Weather permitting we will have our 40 hours flown off very quickly.

It?s been quite an odyssey and a once in a lifetime experience. My thanks go out to all who helped along the way. A special thanks to Andy for being there for the duration. Thanks, West Point, my wife Shannon, who has said ?now that it?s finished you better fly the *&%$ out of it?, GOTTA LOVE A WOMAN WHO THINKS LIKE THAT, and VAN for designing a wonderful airplane.

Daryl Sahnow
Van?s Employee for 24+ years!

100_1574.jpg

100_1577.jpg

RV9APanel.jpg

RV9ASeats.jpg

Congrats!!
All that work is really a small price to pay for the joy that is coming your way. :)

Back