What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT EIS4000 - questions on new installation

Fearless

Well Known Member
I plan on using the GRT4000 system on my 9A. I bought the VA-168 3 port manifold from Vans to install on the firewalll. I know that two of the ports are used for the oil temperature and oil pressure but my main question is do I need to used the third port for the fuel pressure on the GRT system. I have been buying some of the firewall firewall components when I have to order something from Vans so I don't really have firewall forward documentation and it will be awhile before I can spring to buy the engine monitor. I will be using this monitor on a 160 hp fixed pitch carburated engine.

As usual thanks in advance for any replies or suggestions.

I plan on using the GRT4000 system on my 9A. I bought the VA-168 3 port manifold from Vans to install on the firewalll. I know that two of the ports are used for the oil temperature and oil pressure but my main question is do I need to used the third port for the fuel pressure on the GRT system. I have been buying some of the firewall firewall components when I have to order something from Vans so I don't really have firewall forward documentation and it will be awhile before I can spring to buy the engine monitor. I will be using this monitor on a 160 hp fixed pitch carburated engine.

As usual thanks in advance for any replies or suggestions.

The manifold will accommodate the EIS fuel pressure and oil pressure senders. All the other holes in the manifold, except those that receive the pressure lines, are plugged. If you wish to have an oil pressure light and also ground to the Hobbs meter, Vans has a pressure switch for that purpose that can be installed in the third hole where the oil pressure line comes in.

That's how I have wired my unit. The oil pressure light is very useful as a faulty gauge or transducer will cause an unnecessary landing or flight to cancel. I've had it happen. One could install a second oil pressure gauge but the light works just as well and is much simpler.

On my IO-540 RV-10 only 2 of the ports are used and that is for oil pressure and fuel pressure. Oil temp probe goes into a fitting on the oil filter adapter.

Bob

pressure senders

The manifold is used to mount the oil and fuel pressure senders as mentioned.
The third one can be used for a manifold pressure sender if using a constant speed prop.
Phil

GRT 4000

The manifold is used to mount the oil and fuel pressure senders as mentioned.
The third one can be used for a manifold pressure sender if using a constant speed prop.
Phil

Phil: IIRC GRT recommends that the manifold pressure sending unit be mounted aft of the firewall.

I thought about just cutting the third manifold off to save a half ounce. Never got around to it though.;)

You are correct, the Manifold Pressure is a seperate box with the GRT EIS installation. I was thinking of other senders being similar to the oil and fuel pressure type. The installation I'm working on is fixed pitch so I have not even got the MP unit out of the box.
You can cut the third port off, I did but primarily for reasons of space limitation on a smaller-than-RV firewall.
Phil

Back