What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FWIW..Flight Test MR-16 Landing Lights

USCANAM

Well Known Member
Finally got the 3 night take off and landings out of the way today.
We had actually tried to do it a while back, but I wasn't completely happy with the interior lighting, something you can't tell until you're really in the dark. But at the time, we did taxi around the airport in the dark, and I was pleased with the exterior lighting.
Today, since it's getting darker earlier here in the North East, we decided to hang around and do the flights.
Our set up consists of 1 -71 watt 35' angle taxi light mounted in the nose, and 1- 71 watt 20' angle bulb mounted in each wingtip.
All bulbs are adjustable for aiming.

By USCANAM

By USCANAM
Used about 1/2 flaps to help keep the nose from getting too high, and I have to say that runway sure did light up with all three lights on.
I think I can sum it this way.
As I was coming in for my last landing, there was a small commuter waiting to take off. As I was rolling down the runway on landing I heard him say to the tower.."those are some lights. They're so bright it looked like he was a lot closer". As I pulled off the runway, I asked the tower if he was talking about me. "Yes", was the reply, to which I added..."that's the beauty of an experimental aircraft!!"
They took a lot of time and effort to develop. but well worth it.

Jack
RV9A
76 hours

I have some similar wingtip lights on my -7A.

Could you post a picture or two from inside the cowl on how that light is mounted?

Mike

I have some similar wingtip lights on my -7A.

Could you post a picture or two from inside the cowl on how that light is mounted?

Mike
Mike
I was a little lax on taking shots of the cowl light.
Here's the best photo I have. The bulb was mounted to a plate by the flat area at the rear of the bulb, then attached to the bracket that attached to the cowl. Alignment is by washers.
I have absolutely no idea what that tan piece is on the right side of the bracket that attaches to the cowl. It shouldn't be there.

By USCANAM

By USCANAM
It's pretty straight forward. I had to pretty well eyeball it because of all the curves. You should get a good idea how to do it from the pictures.
Hope this helps
Jack

Nice lighting

Looks pretty nifty-clean install and bright. What sockets did you use? Is the plexi cover on the cowl bent to maintain original curve of the cowl glass? And where are the bulbs from? Sorry to ask if it should be obvious! I found similar bulbs on the 'net but not the sockets like yours. Bill

Looks pretty nifty-clean install and bright. What sockets did you use? Is the plexi cover on the cowl bent to maintain original curve of the cowl glass? And where are the bulbs from? Sorry to ask if it should be obvious! I found similar bulbs on the 'net but not the sockets like yours. Bill
Bill
I formed the oversized plexi over the cowls and wingtips before I cut the openings. Fitted them after the doublers were in.

There are no sockets.
I used .063 female Molex connectors.
Attach the wire to the connector with the proper Molex pliers, slip the connector over the pins on the bulb, and lightly solder. I then put a shrink sleeve over the molex connector. The wires are just pig tails with connectors on their ends that connect to the airframe outputs.
Jack

Back